[SOLVED] HDD and SSD show as Unallocated ?

fgermne

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
I just got my new PC 3 days ago and yesterday after installing Itunes to transfer music to my phone, after restart 2 SSD and 2 HDD went unallocated.
Nothing from past topics helps.
EDIT: Weird thing is that happened after Itunes requested a restart after installation. (Itunes is making visible drive for the phone after installation).

One SSD 120GB doesn't have important files so I have tried with formating, and it is working now.
But first problem is: files on others HDDs and SSD (around 3TB of files) are important and I will have to save them somehow.
Second and main problem: is there any fix for a long term? If this gonna happen very often then this mobo is completely unreliable and unusable.

This happened with newest SATA drivers installed through the iobit driver booster.
When I reinstalled Windows 10, I have left old SATA drivers but HDDs/SSDs are still unallocated.

Is it possible that something is wrong with this series of X570 Motherboard?

EDIT: Is there possibility that M.2 SSD made a problem? Because I have M.2 SSD on slot closest to CPU and I have used 0,1,2 and 4 SATA ports and everything worker for about 48h.
If M.2 kills 2 ports (4 and 5 maybe?) maybe that somehow has made a problem?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
RAM: HyperX 3600mhz
GPU: 1080Ti
PSU: Njoy gold cert. 750W

Last edited:
Solution
UPDATE: I have recovered everything back to normal with CMD-> chkdsk D:/F , etc.. for all drives.
Before I was getting error, and I gave up from that.
Now I just tried because I didn't know what else to try again and it worked.

Lets hope the problem will not occur again.

fgermne

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
That is probably not the cause of this issue, but never use that thing. Or any other "driver booster".

They do FAR more harm than good.
Thanks, I will manually install drivers. Since I reinstalled Windows 10 anyway after problem with HDD/SSD.

But, hope somebody will get an idea how to fix this since I still can't use my SSD and HDDs. (unallocated)
Even more important to fix this permanently, really hope it is not because of Mobo or CPU..

D

Deleted member 14196

Now that your system is polluted with all the incorrect drivers you should install windows clean again and then manually install your drivers. Driver booster and other utilities render a Windows installation broken and useless afterwards

fgermne

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
Now that your system is polluted with all the incorrect drivers you should install windows clean again and then manually install your drivers. Driver booster and other utilities render a Windows installation broken and useless afterwards
Yes, as I said in the previous post - I reinstalled Windows 10 without installing driver booster.

But the problem is still there. Drives are unallocated.
I would like to try everything before I start with moving and saving data from all my drivers (~3TB od data), formating and moving files back to them.
Even if I do that, it can happen again since I don't know the reason of this problem.

EDIT: Weird thing is that happened after Itunes requested a restart after installation. (Itunes is making visible drive for the phone after installation.)

Last edited:
Get testdisk scan (quick search) the disks that are unallocated and if it shows you the correct size of them save the result and the disks will show up again with all files untouched.
If a drive shows up with a different size than it should then you are in trouble and will have to use file recovery.
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

To fix this permanently we would first have to find out if it even is a permanent problem, it could just be itunes messing tings up or something with the phone that caused the problem only once.

Reactions: dorsai
If changing the SATA port hasn't woken up the unallocated drives then I'm pretty sure you managed to erase your drive(s) partition information.

At this point you're going to have to buy a utility to recover the data if you can. I use Partition Magics products and have had good luck.

fgermne

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
Thank you guys.
I checked with DMDE, all files are there.

Only if Itunes after installation earsed my drives partition information, which could be a weird thing but not impossible.
Before that restart everything was working great.
After restart when I opened This PC there was only M.2 drive and Itunes/Phone drive and all other HDDs/SSDs went unallocated.

Yes, I have tried to connect only one HDD, no changes.
Still unallocated.

fgermne

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
UPDATE: I have recovered everything back to normal with CMD-> chkdsk D:/F , etc.. for all drives.
Before I was getting error, and I gave up from that.
Now I just tried because I didn't know what else to try again and it worked.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Don't 'hope', prepare.

fgermne

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
Make sure to back up all these files to prevent this from happening again. Things will happen to PCs and their various components, and counting on being able to recover data afterwards is not a backup strategy.

Don't 'hope', prepare.

I said I hope because if this problem happens again I will have to return Motherboard because something is faulty.
Living with thinking that any restart of PC can disable or unallocate all the drives is really bad.

I was using 3 PCs for the past 12 years and I never had a backup (I know I should) and I never lost any single file for the past 12 years.
Only one time my GPU failed after 4 years of using and thats it.

For the backup, I will check what is the most economic option to have online backup (1TB would be enough for now).