HDD (C: drive) filling up for no reason

Mas3nk0

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
In a few weeks my available disk space has gone from 30GB to 5GB without any installations I am aware off. I have one HDD 1TB (Western Digital) divided in 100GB (Windows 7) / 900GB (Applications/Storage). When I open Windows Explorer and add up all the folder sizes then I am nowhere near 60GB. Multiple Virus scans reveal nothing (Avast).

I have read in other topics to use windirstat to locate the culprit (will try this when I get home) however will this work if the folder sizes do not represent the correct values?

Any other suggestions that I might look into? I read that it could be related to Windows updates or recovery points going back to far (any links to how I can step by step check these?).

Solution
Hi there Mas3nk0,

You may need to change the Restore Point settings.
Check this out: http://www.howtogeek.com/125923/7-ways-to-free-up-hard-disk-space-on-windows/

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

Mas3nk0

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
CCcleaner has been run regularly and shaves of 500MB but nowhere near the amount of storage that is decreasing daily.
Another remarkable thing is that with almost 0 space on my C: drive I am still not encountering performance issues ...

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

I remember seeing something similar to this awhile back. Some guy had an SSD with just his OS on. He was constantly checking it and commenting on space being taken up. I cant remember if it was resolved. It might be worth searching along those lines to see if there's any solutions.

Mas3nk0

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Followed the instructions in your link and afterwards instead of 500MB there was 32GB available again on the HDD. Likely culprit was the recovery point storage. Thanks you!

TRENDING THREADS