Question HDD chirp/squeak

simo375i

Commendable
Jan 26, 2018
So heres a sound i haven't heard before today. My 4tb Seagate HDD (ST4000DM004) is making this sound around the time i get to my desktop on startup and it squeaks like this a few times and shortly after it is back to normal. Additionally my pc starts up with the E: (Which is what this drive is) folder open and then it closes after a while by itself. To me it is strange because i replaced my D drive just days ago because that was doing the folder thing too.
Keep in mind the D drive was significantly older than this drive (4-5 years older.).

Edit: It also chirps if i manually access the E: folder and at that point it closes and opens the folder by itself a few times.

Last edited:

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
I have no insight for about the drive letters and folders opening/closing; however, I can tell you Samsung drives are infamous for the chirp and squeak you describe. It’s apparently from the head parking. There are various remedies on different forums but all of them are reported as temporary, lasting from hours to days, but it seems to always return.

simo375i

Commendable
Jan 26, 2018
I have no insight for about the drive letters and folders opening/closing; however, I can tell you Samsung drives are infamous for the chirp and squeak you describe. It’s apparently from the head parking. There are various remedies on different forums but all of them are reported as temporary, lasting from hours to days, but it seems to always return.
Would that mean this is a dying drive? Moving files also gives me issues because it every few seconds just stops (0 Kb/s) and then goes for another few seconds rinse an repeat all while squeaking occasionally.

gmagdna

Prominent
Jul 16, 2018
Lots of reports of it happening on new drives. You should run diagnostics. If the drive doesn’t support S.M.A.R.T. then Passmark has a good tool. I’m guessing Samsung has a tool that shipped with the drive, or that you can download.

simo375i

Commendable
Jan 26, 2018
I tried replacing some power cables (I already tried a different SATA data and port to no help.) and it made it stfu :D I then put the original power cable back to test and even after a bunch of restarts and stress tests it seems to have been fixed. I think my 7 year old Inter-Tech EPS-750W has to go.