[SOLVED] HDD Cleaning and testing questions.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Hi there,
I have some kind of basic questions.

I have a few drives.

I would like to have one for a backup storage.
I would like to use the other to have a play with Linux.

Firstly, I would like to clean them and test them, then do I format them?

1) Cleaning. I assume diskpart is the way forward?
But is that a windows thing?
  1. What would I use to test them please? I assume testing them empty will be the quickest easiest way?
  2. How do I format? As I understand it, Windows formats the drives when you install it.
I assume Linux will as well?
How do I format the backup storage HDD please?
4) Will I be able to use the backup drive to store Linux and Windows created files?

Thank you very much.

Solution
If your WIndows is already on another drive, the additional drives when connected should show up in admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt where you can easily delete partition/reformat, etc... If newly installing Windows, then the installer GUI will allow you to choose a drive, and, any partitions already present can be deleted within that menu as well...

If just wanting to tinker with the plethora of Linux OS choices, VirtualBox works very well, and does not require an entire drive to be dedicated to any particular OS, and, also prevents the occasional accident of having boot menus put on wrong drive, accidental formats of wrong drives, etc...
If your WIndows is already on another drive, the additional drives when connected should show up in admin tools/computer mngmt/storage/disk mngmt where you can easily delete partition/reformat, etc... If newly installing Windows, then the installer GUI will allow you to choose a drive, and, any partitions already present can be deleted within that menu as well...

If just wanting to tinker with the plethora of Linux OS choices, VirtualBox works very well, and does not require an entire drive to be dedicated to any particular OS, and, also prevents the occasional accident of having boot menus put on wrong drive, accidental formats of wrong drives, etc...

Solution

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
also prevents the occasional accident of having boot menus put on wrong drive, accidental formats of wrong drives, etc...
Hmmm, good point. I hadn't thought of that.
I shall have to have a ponder.
I like the idea of it being on a separate drive just because it sits easier in my mind.
Luckily i have a bunch of 500GB HDD and a single 250GB SSD with the OS on, so I can take great care and unplug right now.
Thank you for that though.

OK, thanks, so I found Disk Management and used that to format the drives.

What is the best way to test the drives please?