pcnoob101

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
so I looked online and they said its dying, so I went to my local computer store and the guy said he'll charge me $250+tax for labor and pieces, bestbuy will charge me double for sure. and i don't want to pay that much!
and I've got no idea on how to reinstall vista on another HDD. so Im thinking of getting anotehr HDD, having both at the same time, then backing up everything from the old one to the new one, and setting the new one as the main one(got no idea how that goes either).
so is that possible?

to install vista:
1 - make sure the dvd drive is above the hdd in the boot order
2 - when your computer boots with the disc it sill say press any key, do it
3 - a nice gui comes up, just make sure you select the right HDD

pcnoob101

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009

what about the drivers?

MomoCC

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Since you've mentioned clicking sounds, it's clear that there's an internal physical fault within your hard disk; trying to read it may make it harder to recover your data.

What you can do is try putting the hard disk into a USB enclosure, hook it up to another computer, and try copying the data from the hard disk. But try this only once!

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
like momo said, back it up as soon as you can. Continued use could lead to failure or data corruption. Vista has 90% of drivers pre-installed. Other stuff for your video card you can get online.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
back up your files now it can go any second. Swap the drive out reboot with your windows disc in the drive and follow the on screen directions

RuveDRAN

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
your hard drive is definitely on the blink. Those clicking sounds are like warning signs to tell you that your hard drive is failing. It happened to me , i lost all my data , i couldnt even back it up.