HDD crashed, broken, not sure what to do

Mythrilguy

Commendable
Nov 2, 2016
Hi, so I just recently had my laptops HDD crash and for some reason it makes a clicking sound when it boots and nothing happens. I assume it's dead because I've tried opening it up, carefully, to fix it and nothing works. I'm not worried about recovering any files as it was just games and programs I can redownload.

I'm looking to get a new drive and want an SSD. Basically what I'm planning doing is getting one I'll use for a new PC that I plan on building in a few months. I want to use the drive for my current laptop and transtion it over when I build my new PC. My question is, how would I go about installing Windows 10 on the new drive. I can get a windows 10 student free from my college and I can also get windows 7 ultimate upgrade free as well as a recovery disc I can use to install windows. Would I just get the disc and use the Win7 key or use the win10 key and upgrade from there. I don't want to get the Win7 upgrade key and find out I could only use it if I had Win7 home premium. I don't like win10 so hats why I'm considering 7 and the win10 edition is student so I don't want that.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
If you had already installed Windows 10 on the machine, then you can just download the Windows installation media creation tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just skip the part where it asks for a license key during installation. When you get online for the first time, it'll automatically put in your old key and re-activate itself. It's one smart thing Microsoft actually did.

JaredDM

Honorable
If you had already installed Windows 10 on the machine, then you can just download the Windows installation media creation tool from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just skip the part where it asks for a license key during installation. When you get online for the first time, it'll automatically put in your old key and re-activate itself. It's one smart thing Microsoft actually did.

Solution