HDD crashed, got a new one, and now my audio is screwed up.

Mooselogic

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
I can hear everything just fine, but everything is wayyyy stereo-fied. In other words, things that go through the left speaker ONLY go through the left speaker, and there's not much mixing. It's giving me a headache just listening to it. Note: this happens a lot with games, but also listening in browsers and iTunes and such. Any ideas? Did I forget to install anything?

Solution
on a clean install of windows make sure you installed the intel or amd chipset drivers for the motherboard the gone to realtek (if your mb has that soundcard chipset onboard). download the newest hd audio drivers 2.73.
if not check what sound card you have and make sure the newest drivers are loaded.
on a clean install of windows make sure you installed the intel or amd chipset drivers for the motherboard the gone to realtek (if your mb has that soundcard chipset onboard). download the newest hd audio drivers 2.73.
if not check what sound card you have and make sure the newest drivers are loaded.

Solution
If you reinstalled the operating system, please ensure the drivers are installed.

If you use a realtek card try to use Speaker fill if you have a surround sound setup or Virtual Surround if you have stereo speakers. If you are a creative user try the different CMMS modes(or THX on newer Creative cards).

Mooselogic

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014

Ended up being an IDT driver from Dell. Thanks for the quick response!