HDD detected, but not a boot option

aUsernameWasRequired

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017
Hi

So recently built a new pc, pretty low spec as it will only be used for Excel and what not.

Specs :
ASUS A320m-k
AMD A9600
4gb hyperx 2666
Antec vp650

So my first issue started while trying to install windows from a usb. It was a brand new 16gb usb 3.0 stick. When i entered the bios I had 3 boot options : the hdd, the 16gb sandisk stick or UEFI partitions 16gb sandisk stick (dont really know the difference between the past 2?).

The only thing that happened was the windows logo would show up for around 5 seconds, then the pc would restart, then repeat. So I tried a different usb stick, same results. So I tried with multiple SATA cables and multiple SATA ports, no luck.

I decided to connect the hdd to my current rig just to check if it wasnt faulty. While in the bios the motherboard detected that the sata port was occupied and identified the drive, but it was neither a boot option nor was it usable (dunno the right word, but I couldnt use it while using the computer, I only had my original drive available to use). Tried different ports and cables aswell, same story.

Lastly I tried installing Ubuntu, praying that it was just windows being full of shit as usual. Same thing happened, keot getting taken back to the GRUB menu.

Now in the new system, the hard drive isnt even a boot option, the motherboard only detects that a sata port is occupied but only the usb stick is a boot option.

Surely this is a faulty drive?

Any and all help much appreciated, thanks.

Edit : also tried booting by using rufus and unetbootin, for windows and Ubuntu, no luck, same story every time.

What windows version are you trying to install?

BTW - with UEFI bios only storage devices with bootloader on it would show up as boot options.
So if you have clean HDD (with no OS installed on it) it will not appear as boot option in the list of UEFI bootable devices.
It doesn't necessary mean anything bad about the HDD itself.

aUsernameWasRequired

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017

Dont know if im responding to this correctly, on mobile. So I fixed that issue, hdd is a boot option (rookie mistake) but now as I am trying to install ubuntu the same happens. Takes me to the GRUB menu, no matter which option i choose it just resets and takes me right back to the menu.

aUsernameWasRequired

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017

Ive tried booting from the UEFI option multiple times from 2 different sticks while trying to install both ubuntu and windows 10, with no luck.

It shows the GRUB menu/windows logo and then restarts and continues the process. I asked advice on other forums previously and tried booting eith CSM disabled/enabled, same results, each time.

Only other option then would be to go into the BIOS and disable secure boot and enable legacy boot options. That would then allow for it to boot from non UEFI support.
Alternatively if you have a DVD as the install disk with a DVD reader you can use that to install without having to disable secure boot, etc.. and will work well with UEFI.

aUsernameWasRequired

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017

Already tried disabling secure and fast boot, same results, aswell as the legacy only boot options. Booting from a CD is probably my last option, but I will be trying that later tonight. If that doesnt work, is it a mobo issue?

aUsernameWasRequired

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017

So I finally got around to booting with the cd, and it seems its just the same thing happening. Windows logo shows up for a while, then it reboots again, and the whole process repeats. What should the settings in my bios be? Also, I seem to be unable to disable secure boot for some reason.

This might help for disabling secure boot: https://www.technorms.com/45538/disable-enable-secure-boot-asus-motherboard-uefi-bios-utility Overall without having access to the system I don't have any idea what needs to be turned on and what doesn't in the BIOS.

1. make sure the mb has the newest bios on it to rule out a bios bug. in the bios make aure the sat ports set to achi mode. check your mb guild make sure there not another set of sata chipset on your mb (asmedia). if there is make sure your on the main amd port 0. use the windows media creation tool make sure your windows iso has the newest amd chipset drivers. if the newest iso does not see the hard drive. download to the windows iso a folder called drivers and from amd web page download the newest mb chipset drivers. expand them and make sure you cna se the inf drivers. on installing windows hit f6 custom drivers and install the newest amd drivers.

aUsernameWasRequired

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017

Unfortunately that link is of no use to me, since i cannot even enter windows setup. I get the windows logo vir n few seconds, then reboot, then it repeats. Ive probably tried every goddamn combination of settings in the bios that might affect this.