Question HDD disappears when waking PC from sleep

lemming3k

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I recently moved my drives into a new build and have come across an odd issue with one HDD. Whenever I put the computer into sleep, the drive does not appear when I wake the machine. It is not present in explorer, device manager, or disk management. It works completely fine the rest of the time, and as soon as I restart the machine the drive is visible again, both in BIOS and after start up.

It is a new drive and did not have any issues in the previous system and shows no disk errors when checked. I have 2 other HDDs and 1 SSD and none of those are affected. All legit internal drives, not shucked or anything.
The cables seem to be fine (I would assume if it was a cable issue I'd see other problems anyway?) and I don't think it's the drive itself. So I'm thinking there must be a setting somewhere in the system or BIOS that affects it, but I cannot find it. Does anyone have any ideas?

The drive is a Toshiba X300 8TB. The other HDDs are 3TB - don't know if the larger size is a factor.
My motherboard is a Gigabyte H610M H. BIOS Version FD.
Windows 10 Home build 19044

lemming3k

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Could it be this issue?

It looks similar although I have no old OS partitions on the HDDs. Unfortunately having changed the hybrid sleep setting and left the machine in sleep overnight that solution doesn't seem to work for me.
The drive did display, but was not accessible when trying to click on it as it errors - "a device which does not exist was specified". Scanning for changes in device manager removes it from visibility, so seems it still isn't being detected properly when waking from sleep.

lemming3k

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I've re-installed all the intel chipset/MB drivers and it woke from the last sleep. Hopefully that means it is now resolved.

EDIT: Nope. The highest levels of the folder tree showed and were accessible but lower down gave the same errors. Refresh device manager and it disappears again.

Last edited: