HDD dma problem

G

I recently bought a shining brand new comp and now i have run into problems when enabling dma mode for the HDD. I experience lockups in Windows and can´t finish HDTach without everything hanging and I having to restart. Is my HDD defected? It´s a IBM 60GXP 20GB, along with a Abit KT7A mobo and an 1 GHz CPU and 256 MB Siemens RAM.

No dma is severly hurting performance (according to benchmarks) and help would be appreciated, thanks.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I assume you built the computer. Does the bios recognize the HD as ATA/33, 66 or 100? Are you using an ATA/100 ribbon cable?

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

G

Hmm, where in BIOS do I check how it recognized my HDD? I´m using the ATA cable i got with my mobo, I assume it´s ATA 100 since it´s newly bought.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
In my system the details for the hard drive are summarized under Primary Master. In auto mode it should detect the udma capability of the HD. I believe 3=ata/33, 4=66, 5=100. I have an ata/66 drive and the bios didn't detect is as such until I ran the HD manufacturer's software program to implement the ata/66 capability on the hard drive.

Also, you must use the correct cable. The correct cable has a 40 pin BLUE connector at the motherboard end and 80 wires rather than the usual 40 wires. You can easily differentiate it from the standard 40 wire cable.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

G

I can´t seem to find info about HDD udma capability in BIOS nor in Sisoft Sandra...
Anybody have a Abit KT7A motherboard and knows where to find this info?

I have checked and I have a ATA/100 cable and it´s correctly installed. Also the mobo supports ATA/100.

Does IBM have a support site for their HDD´s?

G

I installed VIAs latest 4in1 drivers and now my HDD is working properly (fixed my graphics card too), thanks for trying to help though!