[SOLVED] HDD failed, photos corrupted

kkjj

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Hi,
My desktop PC suddenly failed due to the playing of my child by the ON-OFF button, I tried to make a clean Win installation but not succeeded, … I recognized that the HDD has failed.
So I bought a new HDD and made new Win installation and it is now works fine,
And in order to restore my old files and pictures; I connected the failed HDD to the PC as an additional storage, and here my PC could (see) the failed HDD only for one time, in which fortunately I succeeded to copy (but not making image) all partitions, one by one, to the new HDD, but after that the PC can’t see the failed Hard furthermore, I don’t know why!
My problem is: now when I open the copied pictures on the new HDD; most of them show normally only for about a second then covered by a curtain-like or horizontal lines, and some of them opened directly with this curtain-like distortion cover without any delay.
I scanned all files and pictures by many anti-virus softwares and online scan, … all are clean.
Please any one can help to restore my personal and family photos, the copied (distorted) ones in the new HDD, or the originals in the failed HDD?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Corrupted files, especially photos or exe, can easily happen due to unexpected power off.
If they are 'corrupt' on the source drive, there is no real fix.

This is specifically what a comprehensive backup situation is for.
Your data should never be at the mercy of a single drive or system.
When I work on something like that I tend to make a copy of the disk on Linux using the "dd" tool set to handle errors. Then I use various tools to extract either partitions or files from the "dd" image. It is something that makes it possible to recover parts of the disk, but as mentioned by @USAFRet, if the files are corrupt, then not much can be done. The trick is that the tools under Linux tend to find things and extract them in ways Windows won't allow (or does not have the programming to work on for free). If the images are really important, then a data recovery shop could probably recover files if the hardware is able to survive for one "dd" image. This is a steep learning curve though, so I'm not going to suggest you do this yourself unless you have a lot of time and are curious enough to enjoy that sort of thing.

kkjj

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
When I work on something like that I tend to make a copy of the disk on Linux using the "dd" tool set to handle errors. Then I use various tools to extract either partitions or files from the "dd" image. It is something that makes it possible to recover parts of the disk, but as mentioned by @USAFRet, if the files are corrupt, then not much can be done. The trick is that the tools under Linux tend to find things and extract them in ways Windows won't allow (or does not have the programming to work on for free). If the images are really important, then a data recovery shop could probably recover files if the hardware is able to survive for one "dd" image. This is a steep learning curve though, so I'm not going to suggest you do this yourself unless you have a lot of time and are curious enough to enjoy that sort of thing.
Thank you

HDDSuperClone is probably your best DIY approach to cloning your failing drive.

As for the corrupt JPEGs, open them in a hex editor (eg HxD freeware) and look for blocks of zeros. Under some circumstances there may be a way to repair damaged JPEGs, but it requires manual intervention with a tool such as the following:

https://www.disktuna.com/jpgrepair-fix-and-repair-corrupt-jpeg-headers-and-invalid-markers/

You could always send a sample JPEG to DiskTuna's author and he will assess what can be done.