HDD failure, no restore points. How to transfer old HDD data to new?

Aug 20, 2018
So today my pc (currently on windows 7) when turned on it went into system recovery mode and immediately went into start up repair. When this was done i got a message saying, ' A hard disk problem is preventing windows from starting". and indicates i need it repaired or replaced. When going into system recovery menu after this, the only option i get is start up repair and nothing else. No system restore.

I've ordered a new hard drive which arrives tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone can advice me on how I could get back into booting my pc up? and if not is there anyway to transfer the data from the damaged disk to my new disk?

I dont have a windows 7 cd, but i do have another old desktop which i think is on windows 7. is it possible to connect my hard drives on that and transfer old primary hard drive to the new?

Update:
ok so i took the pc apart and cleaned everything out. now somehow it gave me system restore. so ive managed to get back into my pc. now the question is how and what should i copy over into my new hard drive? i assume copying everything over is not ideal since old hard drive is failing?

Solution

i recommend new hard drive, but if its first time that crashed i can be ok, but if it happend once it will happen again, you can check disk in CMD with "chkdsk /f /r" (no quotes) use chkdsk d: /f /r if drive has other letter. that will take same time depends on...

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
if he first drive has problems reading files or corrupted it will have the same problem when you go to clone it to a new drive. best bet is to get a new HDD and new windows install, after that connect back the old drive and copy files you need before it fails.

Aug 20, 2018

ok so i got back into the hard drive and its running fine now after a sys restore. should i reinstall windows on new hard drive and then transfer data or would transfering directly onto the new disk be ok?

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018

i recommend new hard drive, but if its first time that crashed i can be ok, but if it happend once it will happen again, you can check disk in CMD with "chkdsk /f /r" (no quotes) use chkdsk d: /f /r if drive has other letter. that will take same time depends on disk size and you will see best if it has bad sectors, errors, corruptions, and what rgd1101 said allways back up your data :) trust me backups are your friends.

Solution