Question HDD Fan Failed... Temps went crazy

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Last night my HDD fan failed. Caught the problem after an hour and a half of the computer being on, noticing that my fan controller was not registering anything for that particular fan. When I checked temps all HDDs were at 62C.

How big of a concern is this? Should I be replacing these drives? 60C is the operational limit for these WD Black drives. I am worried that even a short amount of time above this could be problematic.

Ralston18

Titan
I would hope that the HDD's have a bit more than 2 C degrees of tolerance. Especially for short term incidents.

Or an overall combination of + and - accuracy between measured temperatures and actual temperatures that could even things out.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age condition?

Also drives: WD Black noted: capacity, how full?

Another thought: take a couple of photographs showing the case, drive, and fan layout. Post here using imgur (www.imgur.com).

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

Reactions: PapaCrazy

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
You make a good point about the margin for tolerances and the relatively short time period at those temps.

The drives (1TB) are about 2/3 full and several years old. I have been planning to build a new rig for a while but prices have been high and parts rare.

Theoretically, these drives should be replaced relatively soon with newer, faster, non-mechanical storage. Hopefully within a year. I will sit tight and keep my fingers crossed.