[SOLVED] HDD files

Mar 9, 2019
Hi!

I installed Windows 10 to my new SSD using this guide https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html
I'm now using the SSD as the boot drive. I had Windows 10 and all other files on my HDD. Everything is still on it, but the files aren't showing up anywhere other than in the actual drive files. When I try to open Origin for example, the message "The program can't start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." What should I do?

Solution
No do not delete anything off the old HDD yet.
Not until long after everything is working correctly and you have a backup that you can restore froom in case you delete something you actually need.

All you need to do is reinstall the launcher app. If you install it to the SSD then you will need to go to the Apps Library section and add the location of the one already on the HDD.

For Origin click on Application Settings, Installs & Saves - Game library location"
For Steam it's in the Settings then on the Downloads tab you'll see library locations

The locations should match the defaults with just a change in the drive letter
yes you can select which library is the default installation library too.,
Mar 9, 2019
Hi!

I installed Windows 10 to my new SSD using this guide https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html
I'm now using the SSD as the boot drive. I had Windows 10 and all other files on my HDD. Everything is still on it, but the files aren't showing up anywhere other than in the actual drive files. When I try to open Origin for example, the message "The program can't start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." What
did you reinstall origin?
No, not yet because it's very late right now.

popatim

Titan
Not until long after everything is working correctly and you have a backup that you can restore froom in case you delete something you actually need.

All you need to do is reinstall the launcher app. If you install it to the SSD then you will need to go to the Apps Library section and add the location of the one already on the HDD.

For Origin click on Application Settings, Installs & Saves - Game library location"
For Steam it's in the Settings then on the Downloads tab you'll see library locations

Solution
Mar 9, 2019

Thank you very much! One more thing I want to ask, is it normal that this happened? I thought everything would stay the same, just with a different boot drive and a new installation of Windows.

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
This is normal. The new installation of windows doesn't know the old programs even exist because they haven't been installed to it. Games that use launcher apps and a handful of programs can work without being reinstalled.

This happens because when you install a program/app, it writes data to several places and also into the registry. Your new Windows installation is missing all this 'stuff'.

Mar 9, 2019
This is normal. The new installation of windows doesn't know the old programs even exist because they haven't been installed to it. Games that use launcher apps and a handful of programs can work without being reinstalled.

This happens because when you install a program/app, it writes data to several places and also into the registry. Your new Windows installation is missing all this 'stuff'.
Thanks for clarifying and for the help!