Question HDD in USB 3.0 enclosure not recognized by Windows 7

AntarKosho

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
I replaced the 1 TB 2.5 inch HDD in my Lenovo Edge (2015) with a SSD and wow the laptop runs 10x faster! Used a Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure to clone the 1 TB HDD onto the SSD. See

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool...00OJ3UJ2S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Would like to use the 2.5 inch HDD in the Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure with my Windows 7 workstation and it fits fine but when powered up does not appear in disk management.

Ran DISKPART with CLEAN and then SELECT the HDD in the enclosure and try CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY I get the error:
"The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

One online source suggested there may not be enough power in the enclosure for a HDD, but the Amazon reviews for the enclosure indicate that it can be used with HDD. The drive seems to be spinning in the enclosure (I can hear it).

Suggestions? Thanks!

InvalidError

Titan
The enclosure can only draw as much power as your PC's USB port will provide. If sending IO commands to the HDD pushes the enclosure beyond what the port can provide, you get errors from the enclosure/HDD losing power or too much noise on the data lines. Try a different port. If that still doesn't work, you may need to use a special USB cable with a secondary type-A connector for extra power.

Another option would be to try using a self-powered USB3 hub.

AntarKosho

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
CountMike - when I turn on the Sabrient there is an audio notification and the Enclosure does show up under
Control Panel ->Hardware and Sound->Devices and Printers->Devices

InvalidError - have tried several of the USB ports on the XPS, the first time I plugged it in I got a message suggesting I plug into one of the USB 3.0 ports for faster data transfer (which I did).