HDD Industry Set for Return to Growth This Year

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]northwestern[/nom]The Hard Drive is one of the last mechanical parts of the modern computer. Pretty soon we can expect it to be slowly phased out with advanced in SSD and Flash technology.[/citation]

$1.00/Gb for a SSD.

$0.10/Gb at current prices for a HDD.

or $0.05/Gb for a HDD by the end of the summer...

There is still a long way to go before SSDs take over the market. Plus larger SSDs have inherent problems... http://www.techpowerup.com/160877/Future-of-SSDs-Not-So-Solid-Research.html

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I swear to with my mom life that I wont be buying another HDD for at least 3-5yrs unless they drop the price back to pre-flood time, increase the warranty back to where it was.

why? its simple, I got a good total of 10 HDDs with a total of 6TB capacity across 3 desktop PCs. So I wont be needing any new HDD if Seagate/westernDigital think they can rip me off. Good luck with that.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
i would spend $50 for 500gb, that's not unreasonable right now as long as its a nice drive, such as a WD caviar black or blue.. but not $100+ thats insane.
they still need to come down atleast %30 before i consider buying another drive..
i have been making good use of my DVD burner since that flood.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]dontcrosthestreams[/nom]i still find it strange that one factory that made oem old school hdd's getting its parking lot flooded could cause all hdd and sdd's to double in price. For a year.[/citation]

Parking lot?
One of our suppliers sent us a picture where they used a beeping rubber boat to get to the WD factory because of a meter of standing water ....

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
i still find it strange that one factory that made oem old school hdd's getting its parking lot flooded could cause all hdd and sdd's to double in price. For a year.

Much more than just a parking lot was flooded.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Flooding_of_Rojana_Industrial_Park%2C_Ayutthaya%2C_Thailand%2C_October_2011.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Thailand_floods

Over 3 million people displaced. Over $45 billion in damages. Only 506 deaths. With that as a backdrop, me being unhappy about drives being expensive seems pretty trivial.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]aidynphoenix[/nom]i would spend $50 for 500gb, that's not unreasonable right now as long as its a nice drive, such as a WD caviar black or blue.. but not $100+ thats insane.they still need to come down atleast %30 before i consider buying another drive.. i have been making good use of my DVD burner since that flood.[/citation]lol I used to think DVD-R was my way of backing up my stuff but HDD price drop so much I never got a chance to use it until now. i just use up like 40 DVD-Rs to burn my stuff.

G

don't anybody read about that new HDD technology? Heat assisted bla bla bla recording technology or something. Using that new technology, one was able to write at the speed of 1TB/s, that's 1024GB/s, u think SSD technology is even close enough to see the sunlight(Sun being the new technology)? And price hasn't seem to affected that much on ebay. THE ONLY PLACE I GO TO SHOP FOR MY PC HUNGER :D

Status
Not open for further replies.