Question HDD is not being detected in BIOS but works in other system

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2019
I know this question in particular has been asked a lot, but I couldn’t find a situation that matched mine, so sorry if it’s already been answered.

I somewhat recently built my own computer, and had been hoping to transplant my old hdd to the new one since it’s my largest drive at 2TB, and I like having the space for games. However, after booting into BIOS, the HDD did not appear at all.

Computer Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 2600
Mobo: ASUS Strix B450i
GPU: Rx 570 Sapphire Nitro+
PSU: Corsair CX550M
RAM: Teamgroup Vulcan ddr4 2x8 kit
Storage: M.2 WD Blue 500GB as Boot
The HDD in question is a Samsung ST2000LM003.

I know for a fact that it is not
  1. The drive itself, which functions perfectly fine in my old computer, as well as my laptop.
  2. A lack of Sata lanes, as I use two Hdd in the system currently since the 2TB drive didn’t work.
  3. The sata cable, which works for the other drives, and works in my other computer as well. A side note, I also tried the old sata cable that it used when it was in my old system, which works fine as well, except in this instance.
  4. The sata ports on the mobo, which all function with the other 2 HDDs just fine.

I also tried reseting the CMOS, still no detection.
The drive spins up, and there’s no clicking or anything that would indicate damage. It simply does not appear in the BIOS at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just to clarify you do know by default sata port is disabled when M.2 is used. Your motherboard's manual will tell you which one. But it looks like you've tried multiple sata ports correct?

I don't think this applies to the B450-I as below from the spec:
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*1
AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processor : *2
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
AMD B450 chipset :
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s),
* M.2_2 socket shares bandwidth with PCIE x16. When M.2_2 slot runs in PCIE mode, the PCIE x16 slot will run at x8 mode.

However it does force the PCIe to operate at x8 instead of x16 when the M2 is using PCIe interface.

May 1, 2019
Put that drive back into the old computer to verify it still works.
It’s been in that computer for weeks now. Just used it a few days ago to save some games.
I put it back in there yesterday after I was done checking if it worked in the new computer after reseting the cmos, and it works just fine as always in the old computer.

May 1, 2019
Have you tried enabling CSM in the bios and maybe changing the bios mode to Uefi + Legacy if that doesn't work?

I'll second updating the Bios
Have tried CSM in Auto, Disabled, and Enabled with UEFI + Legacy enabled, and the drive does not appear.
Updated bios, then tried it again, drive still not appearing in bios.

May 1, 2019
Update: I’ve basically given up on solving this mystery. I ordered myself an external bay (which I had been meaning to anyways so I could make use of my extra drives) and of course, in the external bay, the drive is read and written to normally.
I hope this at least that helps anyone who finds themselves in a situation like mine make use of their drive.
Thanks for the suggestions you guys gave.

Oct 28, 2022
i have the same problem
i have 4460 with h81m- k i upgraded my gpu and psu and suddnly my hdd stoped get recognized (he is my d drive)
i tried bios update checked every sata port and sata power cable an sata data cable
i tried him on other pc and workes great i tried other hdd and not working
he is not recognized in bios
ty very much for help

USAFRet

Titan
i have the same problem
i have 4460 with h81m- k i upgraded my gpu and psu and suddnly my hdd stoped get recognized (he is my d drive)
i tried bios update checked every sata port and sata power cable an sata data cable
i tried him on other pc and workes great i tried other hdd and not working
he is not recognized in bios
ty very much for help
Please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.
This one is over 3 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.