HDD is split with partition, can't merge it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton Grier

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I have 1 HDD that is split into 2 (drives C and D) with a partition, I want to be able to merge them back into one drive, and use it as a main boot drive in my upcoming new pc, that will have an extra HDD for mass storage. I already tried taking some storage away from the D drive, and adding it to the C drive, but it didn't work, looks like i can decrease the size of C, but can't increase it.

How do i merge the drives back into one?

Solution
Hey there, Anton.

Either way, this drive with the installed Windows on it probably won't work with the new PC (unless the motherboard's the same or a very similar model). That's why I'd recommend that you backup all of your important data and once you get your new computer - repartition and reformat this drive so that it has only one partition and make a fresh install of Windows on it.
If you still want to try and merge the partitions before that, you'd have to delete the D: partition so that its storage space becomes unallocated and after that you can extend the C: partition (deleting the partition will delete your data as well).
Note that a backup of your data is always required before you do similar operations so that you don't lose...
Hey there, Anton.

Either way, this drive with the installed Windows on it probably won't work with the new PC (unless the motherboard's the same or a very similar model). That's why I'd recommend that you backup all of your important data and once you get your new computer - repartition and reformat this drive so that it has only one partition and make a fresh install of Windows on it.
If you still want to try and merge the partitions before that, you'd have to delete the D: partition so that its storage space becomes unallocated and after that you can extend the C: partition (deleting the partition will delete your data as well).
Note that a backup of your data is always required before you do similar operations so that you don't lose anything if worse comes to worst.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

Anton Grier

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

Even if i would delete my D drive partition, i wouldn't be able to put that unallocated data into the C drive, for some reason it's not working :/
won't let me add anything to the C drive. probably because it's the main boot drive that holds the OS

Anton Grier

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

Actually, would i be able to departition the drive in my new computer's bios, and then use it as a boot drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.