Question HDD isn't detected but Spins and Installs Drivers on first Connection.

PRemBH0i

Commendable
Nov 10, 2020
So I've had a 1 TB HDD of mine sitting in the storage for about 7 years now. Now that's when i decided to finally try to attempt repairs on it i made some progress.

The fault was that the interface board was damaged when 13 yo me plugged the power connector upside down so that the 5v rail got 12v and vice-versa for the 12v. and in result the interface board shorted and when plugged back resulted out in the board just getting heated.

So i did took took out the board and found that the diode shorted out (image link : View: https://imgur.com/EuDGKhi
) then i tried to replace it from a donor board and might have successfully done it too (image link : View: https://imgur.com/bV8SJyP
) also the donor pcb isn't the same so i just replaced the diode and nothing else. Donor Board PCB image ( View: https://imgur.com/VOtA9Tc
) ).

Now the HDD spins and when connected via a SATA2USB Adapter it is recognized and even installs the drivers but no partitions or devices are detected in Disk Management and Device manager. Also i tried plugging directly into a PC but it's not detected in the bios although BIOS screen takes time to load when the HDD is plugged it (Maybe it's trying to read it) So before trying out anything else i just wanted to clarify on what i need to do next because i really don't wanna ruin it further. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
If I were you, I'd have found an exact donor for the HDD before attempting any repairs but with what you've done(being a 13 year old back then), I'd say that the HDD is more of a paper weight and anything you do is just a learning experience, in fact if you don't get the drive to work, you've learned about some other things. That being said, it's best that the HDD is left as is, since the power surge you gave it back then did a number on other things on the drive.

Reactions: PRemBH0i

PRemBH0i

Commendable
Nov 10, 2020
If I were you, I'd have found an exact donor for the HDD.

Oh, that's what i couldn't find it wasn't even showing up on the WD's site back when me and my brother were searching for it. So i've left it as it is since then.

That being said, it's best that the HDD is left as is, since the power surge you gave it back then did a number on other things on the drive.

Ah, that's sad to hear, i thought i could really make some more progress on this, although even if it's paper weight, what else could i try on it even if it destroys it further. Thanks tho.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Oh, that's what i couldn't find it wasn't even showing up on the WD's site back when me and my brother were searching for it. So i've left it as it is since then.

Ah, that's sad to hear, i thought i could really make some more progress on this, although even if it's paper weight, what else could i try on it even if it destroys it further. Thanks tho.
If, and only if, you could locate and install the exact same PCB as the original will you have any chance of accessing the files on the HDD. As Lutfij said, you now have a cool paperweight. You can also get some fun magnets and mirror like plates if you take it apart.

You didn't need to replace the diode. The drive is designed to work without it.

That said, it appears that there are internal problems. The bulk of the firmware lives in a reserved System Area (SA) on the platters, so the drive needs to be able to read this area before it comes ready. That's where the hangup appears to be.

PRemBH0i

Commendable
Nov 10, 2020
If, and only if, you could locate and install the exact same PCB as the original will you have any chance of accessing the files on the HDD.

Well any idea on where i could possibly find a ditto working one?

As Lutfij said, you now have a cool paperweight. You can also get some fun magnets and mirror like plates if you take it apart.

Oh i've taken apart quite a lot of hard disks. So i have plenty of magnets to play with :p

PRemBH0i

Commendable
Nov 10, 2020
You didn't need to replace the diode. The drive is designed to work without it.

No it wasn't working with the blown one, as i mentioned (Or not) the pcb was just heating up when i was using it as it is. And now it atleast gets spinning and even installs drivers when connected via a USB2SATA adapter.

That said, it appears that there are internal problems. The bulk of the firmware lives in a reserved System Area (SA) on the platters, so the drive needs to be able to read this area before it comes ready. That's where the hangup appears to be.

That's what i was afraid of. :(

Normally, if the zero-ohm resistor is open circuit, the overvoltage then kills the preamp which is on the headstack inside the drive. The symptoms in such cases would be clicking and spin-down for some models, or no spin-up for others. ISTM that you are unlucky.

PRemBH0i

Commendable
Nov 10, 2020
Normally, if the zero-ohm resistor is open circuit, the overvoltage then kills the preamp which is on the headstack inside the drive. The symptoms in such cases would be clicking and spin-down for some models, or no spin-up for others. ISTM that you are unlucky.

I neither have spin-down nor i hear clicking. The drive spins just as fine.