[SOLVED] HDD listed as Unkown Disk, won't give access to data

Feb 14, 2019
My storage HDD did not boot when I turned the PC on. If I shut down the PC and start up again it will appear as Unkown Disc with no space visible, it asks me to initialize and if I click ok it gives an error saying it does not exist. On start up the disc will show in the BIOS as the correct name which gives me hope my data may still be accessible. The HDD is still heating up and vibrating showing signs of life, however there is a sound being made every 3 seconds like it's stuck. Would anyone recognise these symptoms?

Solution
Clicking every 3 seconds typically means the heads can no longer read the platters.
This typically will need hardware repair if you really need your data back. (This is expensive)

In the future, please consider getting an external drive and keeping a 2nd copy of your important files on it. All drives fail, even new ones, and often without warning. Your data is only safe if it's backed up.

popatim

Titan
Clicking every 3 seconds typically means the heads can no longer read the platters.
This typically will need hardware repair if you really need your data back. (This is expensive)

In the future, please consider getting an external drive and keeping a 2nd copy of your important files on it. All drives fail, even new ones, and often without warning. Your data is only safe if it's backed up.

Solution