[SOLVED] HDD makes spinning noise, and PC freezes for a few seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

arjan_2

Honorable
Feb 4, 2016
Hello. I have a 1tb SSD (Sata), and my OS is installed on there. However, I also have 2x 3TB HDD's for other stuff. Normally when i'm downloading something on there, i hear a clicking sound, thinking it may be on it's way out. However, I kept using it as normal, now sometimes I hear like the hard drive spin up, like if you were to use it when it's sleeping, and during that time my pc freezes (2-3 secs), or it may be my chrome. It happens rarely, only 3-5 times so far, and not always daily. Could it be the HDD even if my os isn't installed on there? Here are my health conditions from my hdds, from hddscan.

ASKUUPm.png

wPYOenh.png

Thanks

Solution
The first one has 8 failed sectors and 8 pending sectors. Keep and eye on it and if it increases then replace the drive.
You will always have a pause when a harddrive has to spin up to be read or written to. Many people disable HDD spindown in the Advanced Power Management settings for this very reason but keep in mind that not all HDD's can be controlled, some spin down anyways.

popatim

Titan
The first one has 8 failed sectors and 8 pending sectors. Keep and eye on it and if it increases then replace the drive.
You will always have a pause when a harddrive has to spin up to be read or written to. Many people disable HDD spindown in the Advanced Power Management settings for this very reason but keep in mind that not all HDD's can be controlled, some spin down anyways.

Reactions: arjan_2
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.