[SOLVED] HDD making a grinding noise when under stress

Mar 24, 2021
I recently bought a new game and when I play it my hard drive makes a constant low pitch grinding noise. I dont know how else to describe it. Sounds like something is hitting something repeatedly. It also happens when the hard drive is under stress even when im not playing that game. Usually task manager will say its above 30% usage. This didnt concern me at first because it only happens when its in use. I looked it up and I read it could be a hard drive failure though. What really worries me is this has been going on for at least a year now and I havnt lost any data. Guess thats a good thing though. Another thing is its not exactly attached to anything. It just kinda freely sits on top of another hard drive. Could that be causing it? Is there some sort of tool I can use to see if my hard drive is dying?

Heres my hard drive 3726GB Western Digital WDC WD4004FZWX-00GBGB0 (SATA).

Solution
Is there some sort of tool I can use to see if my hard drive is dying?
You've already used it.
By asking here and giving us the symptoms...;)

The first thing you need to do is copy that data off to some other drive.
This one is dying. May be today, may be tomorrow...but it is dying.

But, you say - "this has been going on for at least a year now and I havnt lost any data "
Irrelevant. It is dying.
" Could that be causing it? "
I doubt it.

"Is there some sort of tool I can use to see if my hard drive is dying? "
Even if a drive tool tells you it's good...at this point...I would back up the data and replace the drive because if it's making a noise now....that it didn't make before...it could be a sign something is failing.

I recently bought a new game and when I play it my hard drive makes a constant low pitch grinding noise. I dont know how else to describe it. Sounds like something is hitting something repeatedly. It also happens when the hard drive is under stress even when im not playing that game. Usually task manager will say its above 30% usage. This didnt concern me at first because it only happens when its in use. I looked it up and I read it could be a hard drive failure though. What really worries me is this has been going on for at least a year now and I havnt lost any data. Guess thats a good thing though. Another thing is its not exactly attached to anything. It just kinda freely sits on top of another hard drive. Could that be causing it? Is there some sort of tool I can use to see if my hard drive is dying?

Heres my hard drive 3726GB Western Digital WDC WD4004FZWX-00GBGB0 (SATA).
It just kinda freely sits on top of another hard drive. .......mount the hdd proper.
Put it in a 3.5 bay.

USAFRet

Titan
Is there some sort of tool I can use to see if my hard drive is dying?
You've already used it.
By asking here and giving us the symptoms...;)

The first thing you need to do is copy that data off to some other drive.
This one is dying. May be today, may be tomorrow...but it is dying.

But, you say - "this has been going on for at least a year now and I havnt lost any data "
Irrelevant. It is dying.

Solution