HDD making wierd noises

64bitss

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
I got myself a Samsung 840 EVO to install into my dell xps 8500 (specs below). Installed it into the case, reformatted my HDD (dell datasafe doesn't let you choose where to save the factory resetted windows anywhere except to the HDD that came with the dell pc). Data Migrated the fresh OS over to the SSD. Changed boot order to ssd. HDD now storage drive. SSD booted into windows 7 smoothly.

But since then, strange noises have coming from inside the case(most likely HDD) since i installed the SSD. Some one told me that the noise was coming from the HDD due to bad sectors.

Sound of Noise: https://soundcloud.com/andrew-chay/pc-strange-noise
Frequency: between 1 - 3 times per minute.

So I unplugged the ssd, changed the boot order to hdd 1st (default boot drivebefore I got an ssd). Funny thing is that when my HDD is the boot drive, it doesn't make the noises, but when I added the SSD back and changed the boot drive to SSD, the HDD starts to make the noises.

TLDR;

SSD as boot drive -> HDD makes noise.
HDD as boot drive -> HDD doesn't make noise

The HDD still performs fine when SSD is boot drive in terms of reading, writing, copying files etc. Only thing is the noise. It isn't

I've been using this pc for 1.5 years, never heard this noise until after I installed the SSD

What should I do? Is the noise being made the click of death?

PC specs: Dell XPS 8500
i7-3770s
12 gb ram
amd radeon 7870
2tb hdd (seagate barracuda)
samsung 840 evo ( New SSD)
PSU: unsure, probably pretty low watt

Solution
It's very possible your HDD is failing, however I'm just not certain. I have a 3TB Seagate however and don't get this noise.

*Be aware you can get some noise issues from a faulty SATA data cable, or loose connection:

Again, I'm not certain but those noises sound similar to the "Click of Death" so you may wish to investigate an RMA with Seagate:
http://harddriveclicking.net/hard-drive-clicking/click-of-death

As for "why" it may because when you have the OS on the SSD and the HDD is now secondary Windows may be running a diagnostic or indexing it since it would appear as a new drive. That should settle down after a few hours or so.

Get the HDD Diagnostics software and run some tests on your HDD (don't run the full, destructive test...
It's very possible your HDD is failing, however I'm just not certain. I have a 3TB Seagate however and don't get this noise.

*Be aware you can get some noise issues from a faulty SATA data cable, or loose connection:

Again, I'm not certain but those noises sound similar to the "Click of Death" so you may wish to investigate an RMA with Seagate:
http://harddriveclicking.net/hard-drive-clicking/click-of-death

As for "why" it may because when you have the OS on the SSD and the HDD is now secondary Windows may be running a diagnostic or indexing it since it would appear as a new drive. That should settle down after a few hours or so.

Get the HDD Diagnostics software and run some tests on your HDD (don't run the full, destructive test though unless you don't mind overwriting the drive).
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Some sounds can signify a problem, or potentially failing drive, but your diagnostics may pass. Still, if the diagnostic fails you know it needs to be replaced for certain.

Solution

64bitss

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Thanks for your input! I ran some tests using Hard Disk Sentinel. It gave my HDD 100% Rating on both health and temperature, no errors during random seek test. But since the noise could be a sign of potential failure, I'll most likely get a new HDD as backup. Not much data is inside my HDD, Only the fresh Factory OS which I migrated over to the SSD and a few files which have been backed up into my external HDD. Will wait a few days to see if the noise lessens.

Luis_

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
Don't assume its the hard drive yet.
I believe its the 840 evo that has a problem. It is also my boot option and contains my OS .
I hear those noises every couple of minutes and just today I got concerned because the boot screen showed it was repairing/finding errors on my c/ drive. I used to also believe that it was my 3 Terabyte HDD that had the problem but from hearing your sound clip, It is exactly the same as mine. Except mine doesn't happen that frequently. Couple of minutes in delay between the little clinking sounds.
I scanned both my HDD and SSD and they were in perfect condition according to the windows 8 software tool option.
I'm still trying to find an answer because if it is my brand new ssd(first one), then I just spent a load of money on something that could have been the equivalent of 6 terabytes of HDD space or at least some other ssd that works like its supposed to - quietly.

*I'm new to this website but wanted to also voice in. Idk if its in the right place

sembawang36

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
Sorry to answer a necro thread. This seems a common problem yet I have found no solution yet.

yesterday I cloned my Windows 10 OS to a new Samsung 850 evo SSD with no issues, and booted from that drive. After a while, I heard alot of clicking noises which I initially attributed to the SSD but realizing that is impossible I isolated it to the original HDD. Re-installing Windows 10 on the SSD did not change anything, after a while the clicking returned. I've since just disconnected the power from the drive till I can figure out how to fix it.

Given the number of similar issues, I fail to accept that the HDD is failing or dying as most have suggested. It must have something to do with the commands issued to the HDD by the controller, which could be caused by the image of the operating system on the disk ?

I've not yet tried reformatting the HDD, that would be my next attempt but any light as to the logic of the cause of the issue would be appreciated.