HDD noise when idle

Blickwinkel

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
I've moved my pc into a new case and suddenly I've run into problems with my WD Blue HDD. It's started to make this rhythmic noise whenever it's idle. It doesn't sound like the typical churning sound like when a HDD is crapping itself on it's deathbed, but still very noticeable. Sounds like one phrase in morse code over and over, I guess.
What's weird is that when it's working I can hear nothing out of the ordinary and I've noticed no performance decrease, stutter in games, freezes, fails to boot or anything like that. I've tried moving it into different positions, screws tighter, no screws, same thing.
This is a graph from HD Tune, and it doesn't look good. So, is it dying? Just from moving it?
https://i.imgsafe.org/b218527139.jpg

Hey there, Blickwinkel.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your drive.

You've mentioned that you've moved the drive, so I'd recommend that you make sure that the cables have been seated properly. You could also give it a try with a different SATA port and different cables, to see if the same thing happens. It would be even better if you could try it with a different computer as well.
Even though the graphics look OK, since you're worried that there might be an issue with the drive, it would be better to backup your important data, just to be on the safe side. After that go ahead and download DLG (Data Lifeguard) to run both tests (Quick and Extended) and see if anything out of the ordinary pops-up. Here's how to do it: How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Blickwinkel

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Ran both tests in Data Lifeguard, passed without problems. Again, the disk was quiet as a mouse while they were running, but as soon as they were done, went right back to making noise.
Tried different sata and power cables, still the same. I'll try to connect it as an external through usb when I get a case and see if that changes anything.

TRENDING THREADS