Question HDD Not Fully Showing

Mar 28, 2023
My 1 TB SEAGATE HDD is connected to my PC via SATA along with all other drives. It only shows 3.9 GB and asked to initialize the disk which I did but it said “The request could not be performed because of an I/0 device error” then I tried the disk part still didn’t work and gave the same error there. I also checked if it needed drivers, but they're updated apparently. I feel like the HDD is only showing a partition of the drive to my computer. It shows it is online and can create a 3.9 GB disk through AOEMI software. How do I view the whole TB?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The easy answer is that the disk is bad, replace it.

The more detailed answer is that you might find this disk was once formatted to a type that Windows cannot work with.

New WD and Seagate 1TB drives are starting at $30 on Amazon, free shipping. Probably not worth the trouble to put a lot of work into this.

Reactions: SAAD_OFFICIAL
Mar 28, 2023
@SAAD_OFFICIAL

Option #2.

Use Powershell to run the Get-Disk cmdlet and the Get-Volume cmdlet

Here is how to do that:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/resizepartition/powershell-get-disk-space.html

Copy and paste the results into your next post.

No links necessary.
FROM WAY 1 in the link

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

Warning: PowerShell detected that you might be using a screen reader and has disabled PSReadLine for compatibility purpo
ses. If you want to re-enable it, run 'Import-Module PSReadLine'.

PS C:\Users\9teenz's KID> Get-Volume

DriveLetter FriendlyName FileSystemType DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining Size
----------- ------------ -------------- --------- ------------ ----------------- ------------- ----
D New Volume NTFS Fixed Healthy OK 49.97 GB 931.51 GB
C NTFS Fixed Healthy OK 132.82 GB 476.32 GB
Unknown Fixed Healthy Unknown 0 B 0 B

PS C:\Users\9teenz's KID> Get-Volume -DriveLetter C

DriveLetter FriendlyName FileSystemType DriveType HealthStatus OperationalStatus SizeRemaining Size
----------- ------------ -------------- --------- ------------ ----------------- ------------- ----
C NTFS Fixed Healthy OK 132.82 GB 476.32 GB

PS C:\Users\9teenz's KID>

A Seagate drive which reports a capacity of 3.86GB is displaying the symptoms of a head/media fault. Normally the drive would retrieve its Identify Device info from the reserved System Area (SA) on the platters. If the drive cannot reach the SA, it reverts to identifying itself using an Identify Device template in the ROM on the PCB.

My 1 TB SEAGATE HDD is connected to my PC via SATA along with all other drives. It only shows 3.9 GB and asked to initialize the disk which I did but it said “The request could not be performed because of an I/0 device error” then I tried the disk part still didn’t work and gave the same error there. I also checked if it needed drivers, but they're updated apparently. I feel like the HDD is only showing a partition of the drive to my computer. It shows it is online and can create a 3.9 GB disk through AOEMI software. How do I view the whole TB?
i would be checking the connections to the drive. maybe replace the sata cables. try a different sata port. Make sure the bios is not set for some raid sata mode. Some sata ports on some motherboards have special functions. (most often the first or last port. I would skip those ports)

guess, i would make sure the machine is in high performance mode. just to avoid the case where windows told the windows to sleep the drive and can not wake it up due to old bios version.

i would think a i/o error would be a bad data cable connection or maybe the drive not spinning.

note: reading about the problem, looks like corrupt firmware that would require repair using special tools
How to Fix Seagate HDD of 3.86GB Wrong Capacity - Dolphin Data Lab

Last edited: