Question HDD not functioning after installing SSD.

Sep 13, 2024
Good morning/night,

Im hoping you could please offer some guidance!

Today I installed a "Crucial P3 1TB PCIe Gen3 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD" and it is working fine. However, after installing the new ssd, my pre-installed 1tb hard drive stopped being recognized by windows, and i can no longer access it. It won't show up in device manager or disk manager any more. Replugging the drive's cables hasn't made any progress either.

Specs:
OS SSD - Western Digital WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD
LARGE HARD DRIVE - st4000dm004-2cv104
MOTHERBOARD - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI​

Jul 10, 2024
Have you tried plugging it into a different sata port?
Also try a third party disk management tool, like aaomi or minitool etc. after a reboot. Is it mbr or gpt drive?
Pls supply a screenshot of disk management screen after reboot.
If you still have a no show, can you disconnect the M.2 drive and boot from the original to check if its actually damaged. Cheers

Good morning/night,

Im hoping you could please offer some guidance!

Today I installed a "Crucial P3 1TB PCIe Gen3 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD" and it is working fine. However, after installing the new ssd, my pre-installed 1tb hard drive stopped being recognized by windows, and i can no longer access it. It won't show up in device manager or disk manager any more. Replugging the drive's cables hasn't made any progress either.

Specs:​

OS SSD - Western Digital WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD​

LARGE HARD DRIVE - st4000dm004-2cv104​

MOTHERBOARD - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI​

Read the manual page 17.

If a SATA or PCI-2 M.2 is installed in socket M2A you loose sata ports ASATA3 0 and ASARA3 1, these are the two right next to the 24 pin connector.

If a PCI-e M.2 is installed in socket M2B you loose sata ports SATA3 2 and SATA3 3.

Plug your sata drive into ether SATA3 0 or SATA3 1 ports, those are the only two ports that will work while using 2 M.2 Drives

Sep 13, 2024
If a SATA or PCI-2 M.2 is installed in socket M2A you loose sata ports ASATA3 0 and ASARA3 1, these are the two right next to the 24 pin connector.

If a PCI-e M.2 is installed in socket M2B you loose sata ports SATA3 2 and SATA3 3.

Plug your sata drive into ether SATA3 0 or SATA3 1 ports, those are the only two ports that will work while using 2 M.2 Drives
Ok, i will give this a shot. Thank you!

Sep 13, 2024
are both connectors tightly connected to the hdd ? power and data cable
still connected to the motherboard?

try a different sata slot and data cable

does it show up in bios?
does it spin on?

reset bios by jumper
Yes, the drives are plugged in well to the mothernboard. I've never noticed a spinning noise when the computer was on, so i'll keep in mind to pay attention to that when testing.
It will not show up in bios either.

I will try a different port and get back to you!

Sep 13, 2024
Have you tried plugging it into a different sata port?
Also try a third party disk management tool, like aaomi or minitool etc. after a reboot. Is it mbr or gpt drive?
Pls supply a screenshot of disk management screen after reboot.
If you still have a no show, can you disconnect the M.2 drive and boot from the original to check if its actually damaged. Cheers
The sata ports seem to be the most suggested answer so i will certainly test others.

WIll provide screenshots after testing ports!
Im certain the drive is not damaged, but lets see...