Question hdd not recognising

Jan 3, 2024
I have set up an old pc as a media server with linux server and everything works great, I have a WD 18 tb sata hdd from a my book external enclosure but the bios will not recognise it when attached as sata.
The motherboard is an ASUS P6X58D-E

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2024
Several factors could be causing this issue with your WD 18TB HDD not being recognized in the BIOS of your ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard:
  1. BIOS limitations: Older motherboards often have BIOS limitations on maximum drive capacity. Your P6X58D-E is quite old and may not support drives larger than 2TB or 4TB.
  2. Firmware: The drive may need firmware designed for internal use, as it came from an external enclosure.
  3. Advanced Format: The drive likely uses Advanced Format (4Kn), which older systems might not support.
  4. SATA controller: Your motherboard's SATA controller may not be compatible with newer, large-capacity drives.
Possible solutions:
  1. Update BIOS: Check if a BIOS update is available for your motherboard that adds support for larger drives.
  2. Use a SATA controller card: Install a modern SATA controller PCIe card that supports large drives.
  3. Partition the drive: Create a smaller partition (< 2TB) at the beginning of the drive. The BIOS might then recognize this partition.
  4. Use software workarounds: If Linux recognizes the drive, you might be able to use it even if the BIOS doesn't see it.
  5. Use the drive externally: Connect it via USB if the internal SATA connection isn't working.