[SOLVED] HDD not showing up after installing SSD

Crotrane

Reputable
May 13, 2014
So I bought new 1TB ssd and after installing it my 1TB HDD dissapierd not even showing in device manager idk what to do I unplugged it and plugged it back to be sure that I didnt unpluged it by accident but that was not a problem. Here you can see that only my SSDs are showing up http://prntscr.com/mvhqkm. Disk managment picture: http://prntscr.com/mvhqwr. I really need my HDD cuz all my video editings are there... Thank you :)

Reactions: CreativiTimothy
Solution
This chart from your user manual:
tgnM4OX.png

Moving your HDD to SATA 4 or 5 would seem to work.
OK. Could be from using M.2 SSD. On some motherboards, which may include yours, using an M.2 drive will disable SATA ports(usually 2) due to the PCI-E Lane arrangement from the chipset itself. A quick look at your motherboard manual indicates this is the case with certain SSD types and configurations. If so, and you have available ports, you should just be able to plug the HDD into another port.

Crotrane

Reputable
May 13, 2014
OK. Could be from using M.2 SSD. On some motherboards, which may include yours, using an M.2 drive will disable SATA ports(usually 2) due to the PCI-E Lane arrangement from the chipset itself. A quick look at your motherboard manual indicates this is the case with certain SSD types and configurations. If so, and you have available ports, you should just be able to plug the HDD into another port.
so what should I do? disconnect my SSD get all data from HDD to external and then put my ssd back and axe my HDD? or there is a way I can use my HDD?

Are there open SATA ports on your motherboard not being used? If there are, you should be able to just plug the HDD into another port and everything should return to normal if this is the cause. An example in my own case, since I'm using PCI-E x4 based SSD, my SATA ports 5 & 6 are disabled, so I have my other SSDs and optical drive plugged into ports 1,2, and 3.

USAFRet

Titan