[SOLVED] HDD Old Files

Dec 8, 2018
Context: I just installed a brand new Windows 10 OS onto my Sandisk 500 gb SSD in order to increase boot time on my PC (my old OS is on my 2 tb HDD). All seems to be going swimmingly (if having to sign back into downloaded programs is considered normal for this procedure) but I can't figure out what to do regarding my files (namely saved game files, and important documents/pictures) from my old HDD. I read an article (link here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-of-windows-10-os-on-new-ssd-best/9186ae98-b2b4-4b7a-b3ff-0b053ce2d1c9?auth=1) that guided me through the new OS setup and which said to copy the files from my old HDD (where my OS was) into a temporary folder on my SSD, format that HDD and name it data drive, and return the files to their original drive (this is all after I'd installed the new OS).

A few problems: My SSD only has 476 gp unallocated space whereas my HDD has about 2 tb worth of files on it (I have another HDD that has 2.03 tb of 3.63 tb free). I'm uncertain if I properly backed up my documents/pictures/files etc before installing the new OS (evidence seems to point to me not doing it as I had multiple pictures and documents that I can't locate on the old HDD).

So, clear questions: What would be the recommended next step? Do I have to format my HDD? If so, do I have to clone my files onto another HDD/external HDD? How do I clone said files (what is the best program?)? Can I retrieve those documents/pictures that were on my HDD but are now seemingly gone? Lastly, are there any other recommended steps/procedures that are necessary/useful for new OS setup aside from basic program sign ins and driver/system updates?

Solution
You have a 500GB SSD with a new install of the OS, and two other HDD's, correct?

Your applications need to be reinstalled with the new OS.
Steam client, Fences, browsers, etc, etc, etc

Then, for all that junk on the 2x HDD's, I would attempt to consolidate whatever you can on one of those drives.
Preferably the one without the previous OS.

Lets designate these HDD1 and HDD2
HDD1 = the one with the previous OS. You want to save all this stuff on HDD2.

Your personal files (Doc/Music/Video/etc). The full SteamApps folder. Whatever else you can find and save. Game saves...you'll have to look for these individually. there is no specific common place for that.
NOT "applications".

Once you are satisfied that anything you wish to...

USAFRet

Titan
1. The only thing you can save/capture from your old HDD is your personal files, and maybe some games.
Applications are a non-issue. They need to be reinstalled.

2. When you installed the OS on the new SSD, did you have only the SSD connected?

3. Since you did a new install on a different drive (the SSD), a backup is not really the issue here.
All the stuff on the original HDD still exists.

4. "2TB files" on the HDD. What, exactly, are these files? Again, only your personal stuff counts.

5. "Recommended next step" is dictated by what you have and what you want the end state to be.

I am curious about the apparently minor issue of having to "sign back into" downloaded programs. Can you give the details and an example ?

Also, what do you mean by " properly backed up my documents/pictures/files etc before installing the new OS " . The install was performed on a new drive, so it was empty , nothing to back up. What then did you back up and how ?

Next, that direction to format the old hdd can be ignored. No need to clone anything either. Looking at your disk resources, saving the 2TB of data on one drive just to move it back again seems pointless and will not be simply one copy and paste op, but will require several moves to the available spaces on two drives , a little complicated and unnecessary. Just leave 'er be unless there are plans you have not mentioned. You might very easily have a new drive with the OS and extra space, and 2 large hdds holding data.

Do you require anything else ?

Dec 8, 2018

Dec 8, 2018

I currently have some miscellaneous programs installed that I use for day to day stuff (Chrome, Fences, Spotify etc) gaming programs (Steam, Origin, Ubisoft and Battle.net), with none of the games I had installed currently installed.

My end goal is to have all my previous games installed, with all the saved data accessible, for all my personal files (word docs, pdf downloads, and pictures) to be accessible, to clear out any and all unnecessary/repetitive files on my drives, and for my overall boot time to simply improve (the whole reason I was doing this was so my boot time wasn't 5 minutes [not exaggerating, I timed the boot procedure on multiple occasions and it responded with relative ease after 5 min of waiting/leaving the computer alone]).

Dec 8, 2018

Unless any of my answers draw up new questions or concerns I believe that would be all!!
If this is the last message you'll be sending karenjoly I greatly appreciate your response to this! You're saving me from a massive headache :)!

USAFRet

Titan
You have a 500GB SSD with a new install of the OS, and two other HDD's, correct?

Your applications need to be reinstalled with the new OS.
Steam client, Fences, browsers, etc, etc, etc

Then, for all that junk on the 2x HDD's, I would attempt to consolidate whatever you can on one of those drives.
Preferably the one without the previous OS.

Lets designate these HDD1 and HDD2
HDD1 = the one with the previous OS. You want to save all this stuff on HDD2.

Your personal files (Doc/Music/Video/etc). The full SteamApps folder. Whatever else you can find and save. Game saves...you'll have to look for these individually. there is no specific common place for that.
NOT "applications".

Once you are satisfied that anything you wish to keep is all on HDD2 (verify this 2 or 3 times), then you fully wipe ALL partitions on HDD1. Resulting in a fully blank drive.
Then, you move all that kept stuff from HDD2 to the newly blank HDD1.
And you fully wipe all partitions from HDD2.

So now you have a bit more organization.
OS and all your applications on the SSD.
All your personal stuff on HDD1, in some sort of organization you know about.
A completely blank HDD2.

With me so far?

Solution
Dec 8, 2018
Yes, I follow the process, curious about how I go moving these files from drive to drive. Do I use some program like EaseUs or something similar, or simply copy/paste the files in file explorer?

USAFRet

Titan

For this operation, copy/paste is what you want to do.
In this process, you're also doing some reorganization and consolidation.