Question HDD opens for a few seconds

Aug 25, 2019
Hi All,

I just had a problem with one of my drives, a Seagate Laptop HDD 4TB.

The problem is that whenever I connect it to my laptop, the data appears and is shown for a couple of seconds, then it just goes away as if the HDD has been unplugged from the machine.

So, is the HDD dead?

I tried connecting it to another USB port, using another cable, going to Device Manager (ERROR CODE 10), and in the few seconds that it shows me data if I try to open a folder the USB Controllers show me

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
The USB set address request failed."

Has anyone faced a problem like this one? Is it fixable? Or my HDD is just dead?

Thank you so much for your help.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Is it an external HDD? (presuming so based on info). If so the enclosure could just be faulty. This tends to be more common than the HDD failing. Although both are possible.

First I'd try and use it on a different PC, if the issue persists:

If you are able, I'd run HD Sentinel to check it's SMART status.
If not, I'd take the HDD out of the enclosure and try and plug it in with an alternative one.

Aug 25, 2019
Is it an external HDD? (presuming so based on info). If so the enclosure could just be faulty. This tends to be more common than the HDD failing. Although both are possible.

First I'd try and use it on a different PC, if the issue persists:

If you are able, I'd run HD Sentinel to check it's SMART status.
If not, I'd take the HDD out of the enclosure and try and plug it in with an alternative one.

Thank you for your reply, it is an external hard drive, I did take it out from the enclosure and tried with another cable, the thing about running any diagnostics is that the data in the HDD is shown just four a couple of seconds, then windows just does not recognize it, it doesn't even shown in data recovery tools nor partition tools like easus data/partition.

Oh and also tried in a different PC, the same things happens, so I guess it would be something to the HDD related. Nothing important would be lost, just will be a pain downloading everything back :(