HDD operations take ages

Tomas_1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Yesterday i tried to do a clean windows 10 install on my laptop. I deleted all disk partitions and wanted to create a new big one, but then something stuck. I waited for about 30minutes and there were no progress. I thought that someone stuck so i turned off computer. Since then, all operations takes ages. For example my acer welcome screen is shown for about 5minutes, when before this accident it used to be shown for 2-3 seconds.
Now i am trying to install windows 8 clean install. So I press power button and it takes about 25 minutes from that moment, to load the actual setup screen. You dont need to be a computer scientist to notice that something is not right.
What can be wrong?

Solution
It might be a coincidence, or the drive might have been faulty even before that but started to act strange after you've wiped it and tried a clean installation of your OS. It's not uncommon for drives to get worse after extensive usage if there's some sort of physical fault.
Hey there, Tomas.

It really sounds like the drive is giving up on you. Try it out with a different computer by connecting it either externally or internally, to see if the same thing happens. You could also test it with a diagnostic tool, to see what's the situation with it.
If this drive came with the laptop and if it's still under warranty I'd suggest that you get in touch with the laptop manufacturer to see if you can get a replacement HDD.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

It might be a coincidence, or the drive might have been faulty even before that but started to act strange after you've wiped it and tried a clean installation of your OS. It's not uncommon for drives to get worse after extensive usage if there's some sort of physical fault.

Solution

Tomas_1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I brought my laptop to local store. They diagnosed my hard drive, program showed that hard drive health is 9percent. I bought a new one and will bring back laptop back tomorrow. Hope everything will work well. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS