HDD or SSD?

ermitanas

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
My seagate 1tb hdd is dying and I need to buy a new one. Should I go with a 3TB HDD for 90 euro, or Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB SATA3 for 184 euro? I have intel ssd for windows boot, and i store my games in that 1TB hdd, but they don't usually take more than 500 gb. The price is not really a concern. I'm interested in long lifetime.

Solution
True, a SSD will have a limited number of updates per underlying nand chip.
That might have been a problem when a 32gb ssd cost $400, but not today.
Even with any usage short of server activity, endurance is simply not an issue.
Samsung has a 5 or 10 year warranty depending on the device.
I expect all current ssd devices to be long obsolete by then.
Reliability of a ssd with no moving parts will be better than a hard drive. Quieter in operation also.

Flash memory as in a USB stick is nowhere near the capability of a ssd.

Intel and Samsung do significant work in making their own controllers and incorporate extensive checking and recovery features.

MRBANG1

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
If you can afford it, do yourself a big favor and go with the SSD. The performance difference is night and day. If you can afford a 1TB SSD that would be ideal. I have a portable HD for backup and storage, so i make due with a 500 gigs SSD in my system.

ermitanas

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

1TB is quite pricey. I can only afford a 500gb one. What about lifetime? Are SSDs lasting longer than HDDs? What is Flash memory and DRAM, and which one is better to use? Is samsung evo 850 dram or flash memory drive (I'm concerned for information security/recovery)?

True, a SSD will have a limited number of updates per underlying nand chip.
That might have been a problem when a 32gb ssd cost $400, but not today.
Even with any usage short of server activity, endurance is simply not an issue.
Samsung has a 5 or 10 year warranty depending on the device.
I expect all current ssd devices to be long obsolete by then.
Reliability of a ssd with no moving parts will be better than a hard drive. Quieter in operation also.

Flash memory as in a USB stick is nowhere near the capability of a ssd.

Intel and Samsung do significant work in making their own controllers and incorporate extensive checking and recovery features.

Solution