HDD Prices are Increasing Rapidly; 50% in One Week

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simba7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I was going to build a new array of 4x 2TB drives only to find the cheapest one on newegg is now $130 each (up from $79 a month ago). So much for that.

I just hope the 1.5TB Seagate drives don't go ballistic just yet. I need to replace a set.

undercash

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
paid my hdd caviar blue 1to sata 3 at 220 lei (55€) 2 months ago, it s currently rated 125€ ,, i was like.. wtf .. guess i ll have to purge my worst movies ;)

G

I find it also interesting that Newegg, Tiger Direct and the like are limiting purchases to a single drive. Probably to keep me from buying a bunch and cashing in too as the market shortage pushes prices up farther...

Satrack

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]I noticed this on Newegg, though it wasn't all that high. I remember seeing a few $60 HDDs jump to $70 and all the way up to $100.[/citation]

That same HDD is now 200$...

G

Capitalism... what else did you expect.

Since capital seeks the greatest return it naturally shifts production to places where secondary costs, like environmental degradation due to lax or non-existent standards can be dumped on the local host country while "slave wages" assures the greatest return possible.

The problem now is that global warming and its resultant 100 year floods takes environmental degradation to a new level, perhaps high enough to neutralize the "slave wages" paid to Thailand workers but, I don’t' think so, capital will just partner with the local Thailand elites to force the workers to work at the point of a gun, if need be.

Such was routine in the 19th century and if that is what it required to maintain growing profits, then Fascism is fine with the capitalists... History clearly shows this to be true and it is to be expected once again since capitalism has failed not only in the United States, but also on a world scale.

G

How much more would it cost to mfg drives in the US?
There can't be much labor involved, it's all automated assembly.
What are the other factors?
Cost of energy to run the plant? Taxes? Regulations regarding working conditions, pollution, ???

G

Illuminati used geo-weapon to cause flood as they knew they could profit from it.

G

Hehe. I thought the sales assistant at MRC was telling porky pies. Trying to sell me a USB 2 1Tb for R1200. I still call B*llsh*t though. They're raising prices for Xmas.. I ended up buying a HP 2Tb USB 3 for R1000.. Guess I wont be going back to that store.. And, are only those two brands affected? If so, fujitsu's laughin all the way to the bank... :j

splitting hairs

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
"two months ago a 2Tb wd green went for $79.99 now its at $119.99. go figure that one out"

Two months ago I purchased a 2TB WD Green on sale for $69.99 (typically sold for about $89) and now that same company is selling it for $179.99

splitting hairs

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Just to add, time to clean up my hard drives and burn my least used files to DVD. I will wait 1-2 years if needed for prices to return to more normal levels, but man that would be frustrating. The same online retailer used to have the 1TB WD Blacks listed as their #1 seller, and now these same hard drives are not even shown on their website.

splitting hairs

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Just checking the latest pricing and availability as of 11/06/11 for Western Digital HD in Canada. I used what were typically the two lowest price sources in Canada (Neweggs.ca and NCIX), and all I can say is what a mess. Unless I am overlooking something here:

* Neweggs.ca - only lists two internal Western Digital HD's, one being the 1TB Back for $230 (the 2TB Green is not listed)

* NCIX - selling the WD 2TB Green for $180 (the 1TB Black is not listed)

I paid $150 combined total for both of these HD's, today they are selling for a total of $410. It seems that not only has WD had had a HUGE price increase in Canada, but there is also a major shortage of their usual product line.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I wish this would hurry up...

I need six more 2TB drives, of which I got the first 12 for under $80 each... Now they are STILL $220+ each... I understand a jump in price due to demand but this is close to Price Gouging and Profiteering.

G

I've recently saved up enough cash for my latest rebuild (or so I thought), but it looks like it is going to have to wait until HDD prices come back down.

Splitting hairs, we're seeing those same levels of price increases here in the USA.

G

I bought 1 TB internal HDD few month back for 2700 rupees in india. Now price goes to 5600 rupees. more than double the price. :(

G

its been about 6 mouths prices are still outrageous. 1tb drive is around $120

Status
Not open for further replies.