Question HDD problem.

Feb 17, 2019
My PC has an SSD and 1 TB HD (Hitachi). Unfortunately my MSI motherboard with Intel I-5 CPU died. I upgraded the MB and CPU with an AS Rock MB and AMD G5 2600 CPU, and DD4 memory. Now that I had a new MB with extra SATA ports I added another 1 TB HD (Seagate Barracuda ST1000D DM003) that I had from another PC. I have the BIOS set to boot from the SSD bit the problem is that when I start the PC the Seagate drive takes over the boot process and starts to install Windows. Can I use the Seagate HD in this PC?

Try this:
  • Remove all drives but the ssd.
  • Start the computer, make sure that WIndows runs and install any neccesary drivers.
  • Shut down computer and then connect the other drives.
  • If that still doesn't work, then get into bios settings and change boot order.

Alternative you can try the last step only to see if it works.

Feb 17, 2019
Try this:
  • Remove all drives but the ssd.
  • Start the computer, make sure that WIndows runs and install any neccesary drivers.
  • Shut down computer and then connect the other drives.
  • If that still doesn't work, then get into bios settings and change boot order.
Alternative you can try the last step only to see if it works.
I basically did that. It works with the SSD and the Hitachi installed but when I bring in the Seagate it goes haywire. I don't believe I need to install any drivers for it because the Hitachi works. I was wondering if I can start the computer then plug in the Seagate and delete the Windows files?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
On some systems with an SSD set up as the boot device, if you later plug in a HDD the BIOS MAY find that new device and assume that it should really be the boot device and set itself that way. Of course, that could only work if the newly-added HDD actually has a Windows OS installed on it.

To fix that, you need to set the BIOS Boot Priority yourself, and to do that you need to get into BIOS Setup. Check how that is done with your mobo, but the most common way is as SOON as you turn the system on, you hold down the "Del" key. Instructions often say "tap" or "push" that key, but I find the system may not be watching the keyboard at just the right moment, so I hold the key down until the opening screen of BIOS Setup appears. THEN go to the screeen where you can set the priority of boot devices. Make sure that your SSD is the first. Then make sure that any device that you do NOT want to boot from (e.g., that Seagate drive) is NOT in the priority list at all. That way it will never be tried. When you have your settings right, remember to SAVE and EXIT to make those settings permanent. The system will reboot and should do so from the SSD with no other glitches.