[SOLVED] HDD recognised by BIOS but not by RAID

Mar 14, 2020
Hi, I recently bought a computer(used) which was set up with a RAID 0. Today the drive crashed and i can no longer find my d: drive. I did some research and ended up in my BIOS. Looking at my bios i found that my two 4 TB drives where there. But when going into intel rapid storage one of the drives was gone from the array. Any hints on what is going on? If i loose all my data its not the end of the world.. just a lot of games that needs to be re-downloaded.

Solution
Normally I would do as you say, however i bought it from the IT guy in my company and he wiped it as clean as need be so not too worried there.

The drives in question are:

2x 4tb Western Digital RE HDD

Where the two HDD's formed the array and together was my d:

I also have a m.2 ssd as my main, containing OS etc.
And I've seen plenty of things done by "the IT guy" that should not escape the basement.

In any case:
Connect each drive individually.
Are they recognized?

Possibly one of them is dead, killing the RAID.

Or, some small burp happened killing the RAID array.

RAID 0 is especially fragile. LOTS of things can corrupt it, resulting in loss of all data.

USAFRet

Titan
Any 'used" PC needs a full wipe and reinstall, before you do anything with it.
Since that did not happen...you're left with trying to figure out what is going on.

RAID 0 + 2x HDD + a 'D' drive indicates that D was simply a partition in that array?
Or was the whole RAID thing the D?

A RAID 0 with a failed drive means all data is lost. No recovery.

What specific physical drives are in this?

Mar 14, 2020
Any 'used" PC needs a full wipe and reinstall, before you do anything with it.
Since that did not happen...you're left with trying to figure out what is going on.

RAID 0 + 2x HDD + a 'D' drive indicates that D was simply a partition in that array?
Or was the whole RAID thing the D?

A RAID 0 with a failed drive means all data is lost. No recovery.

What specific physical drives are in this?

Normally I would do as you say, however i bought it from the IT guy in my company and he wiped it as clean as need be so not too worried there.

USAFRet

Titan

And I've seen plenty of things done by "the IT guy" that should not escape the basement.

In any case:
Are they recognized?

RAID 0 is especially fragile. LOTS of things can corrupt it, resulting in loss of all data.

Solution
Mar 14, 2020

In any case:
Are they recognized?

s
Doesn't matter. You're just looking for basic drive functionality.

Thanks, ill give it a go!

Mar 14, 2020
Ok, so now i have rebooted a couple of times and the drives appear in BIOS individually and when they're both plugged in together.

Would i benifit from making a new RAID 0 ? What happens if i do not? will they appear as two separate drives and that's it ?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, so now i have rebooted a couple of times and the drives appear in BIOS individually and when they're both plugged in together.

Would i benifit from making a new RAID 0 ? What happens if i do not? will they appear as two separate drives and that's it ?
Assuming the drives are functional, just have them as two individual drives.
You'll need to fully reformat them. Then, just use as desired.