HDD Shipments to Drop by 35% in Q4 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

For all those pissing and moaning about the high HDD prices, think of it this way- would you rather have the option to pay high prices for drives if you want/need them, or would you rather be told that there are no drives available for you to buy. Think about that for a minute and let it sink in. It seems that a basic understanding of simple economics has escaped the vast majority of our population.

custodian-1

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
If your Hummer with the extra 30 gallon tank is empty you fill it. Even when the gas is over $5.00 a gallon. You moan and groan but you still fill it. If I need a more space in my server I buy it. The convince of having all my music and movies on a server to me is worth it. Nothing is more enjoyable when my grand kids come over and are able to watch any cartoon, Star Trek, or the countless shows I have on my server. Money you can't take it with you.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I was in Bangkok and I can't understand the problem. The city is near the ocean and has many rivers going through it. So, the water should have just flowed down to the river then to the ocean since it's not a big plain like in Nebraska. There where many water sandbags & barriers, but I think that was just keeping the water IN.
Anyway, from what I can tell, people could have just poked holes in barriers to let the water drain out and this could have been handled better with less suffering.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Uhm, recently I went to buy a hard drive, and was surprised by rather high prices. According to price tracking site just recently they went up by 10-30%

G

Quick, sell your old and used drives while the prices are sky high!

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
SSD's are not any more over priced than any other piece of technology when it is new. That's how companies recoup the massive R&D costs.

Considering the truly gigantic leap in performance over an HDD the prices really aren't all that bad right now. If you want to be an early adopter and stay on the cutting edge you have to spend $$$. I love my SSD, it was the best thing I ever purchased for my PC and I could never go back to HDD.

G

@enewman --

Much of the Thai flood plain is actually very near or even below mean high tide for the area. Trust me, it does not just drain out to the ocean. The reason the industrial parks flooded WAS because the did get holes in the barriers. Now the flood waters have spread even more widely, and they will take even longer to run off.

Have you ever lived in the Bayou Country of South Louisiana? Ever hear of the Atchafalaya Basin? Thailand is mostly like that.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I'm not buying anything period. HDD are way beyond the price I want to pay and SSD aren't any better. They are still too pricey. My solution? Buying IDE drives for dirt cheap on eBay.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm simply not buying another hard drive until (a) 5TB are available (b) 5TB are the $100 range.
I refuse to over pay for things like this, YES I have overpaid over the years at times, knowing full well that prices were going to fall at some point.

But this situation is ridiculous.

Besides I have always at least double my hard drive size purchase over the last 20 years or so.
Also I ways kept an average of $100 give or take as my max target retail cost.
So the next time it won't be any different.

Currently I have 9 hard drives, 2 500GB, 1 1TB and 6 2TB, and they are all mostly FULL.

Status
Not open for further replies.