HDD sometime's not found!

KaneL

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015
Hi, i've been having a problem with my hard drive, i have 3 hard drives. 1 is a SSD which has no issues, i then have 2, 1 TB HDD's , currently have both connected but only use 1. My main hdd is the one i have issues with. sometimes i start up my pc and it says its not connected etc etc, usually i would restart my pc a few times and it will find it and my pc will run fine, other times my pc starts up fine like i has for the past 3 weeks with no issues but suddenly back to the same problem i keep restarting unplugging etc and still nothing. i have 3 Sata cables and they all work for my SSD no problem so im not sure wether i should bother trying new ones? i did have the HDD's given to me 1 i think was new as i had to format etc but the one i have problems with has been used but im unsure of how much use it as had. hopeufully someone can help me because this hdd is driving me crazy!

Solution

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
You can try to remove the HDD in your connections and clean that hdd including the mobo. Then you can reset also the bios to default to make it sure that the BIOS will receive the HDD connections. Then power the computer without hdd, then enter the bios settings. then setup the necessary settings then save your bios. Then turn off your computer and reconnect your HDD. Then observe if your HDD produces unusual sounds, if this happen I think the platter of your HDD have problem or have a chain of bad sectors. If this you need to replace a new HDD. If there are no unusual sounds go to bios settings and check whether your HDD is detected. If not there are problems of the connections or the interface connector pins have problem. Be sure also that your OS have no damage files and no virus. This will also prevent to detect your HDD in Windows system.

KaneL

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015

thanks man i will try this soon and let you know if it works,once again thank you!

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Ok your always welcome here

KaneL

Honorable
Aug 11, 2015

So i uh took 1 hdd out and then it worked, i took out the E: drive and left in D: drive which i think is the one with problems. now neither of them are being detected and i cant open bios because it loads to fast as i have a SSD, this shit is stressing me out so much man

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Hi sorry for that, if you can check, you can try to load your startup file using a windows OS installation disk, then try to check in partitions if the hard drive partitions is being detected. You can select in your post the ist boot once you load your start up file. If you can try again, enter the bios setup using the exact key to enter, you need to check if your HDD is being detected in bios. You can try also to replace the SATA cable and check also the SATA power connector in your HDD.

Solution