[SOLVED] HDD takes 110 seconds to boot with Windows.

May 8, 2020
Good evening,

I would like to apologize instantly for writting a very detailed explanation of the issue.

Yesterday my SSD died.
I've always had a loose cable on it and I move my PC a lot, even when connected - so it was only given that a 'spark' would go through or it would break eventually.

So, yesterday I started getting 'bad_system_config_info' BSoD, so I tried fixing it using online tutorials.
  • I formatted the EFI partition
  • Tried 'resetting' boot path to my windows folder
  • Tried reinstalling windows on my SSD (at this point SSD disappeared and stopped responding)
After my SSD died completely, I've decided to format my other HDD (2TB ST2000DM006-2DM164 Seagate Barracuda) and install Windows on it - so I did just that.
What I've noticed instantly is that it takes atleast 100 seconds to boot:

Nbt5wuN.png

SeaTools for Windows short test resulted in:
hI2IJNE.png

Here's crystaldisk output:
9MOLRZZ.png

Also here's output of Windows Performance Analyzer:

Vray58P.png

It's worth noting:

I have not changed BIOS settings other than boot load order

I have a clean, fresh, no-file-keeping install of windows

The SSD is completely unplugged, the only drive is the HDD

The 100 seconds of boot can be broken into: 70 seconds of ASUS logo and keyboard NOT being initialized (couldn't hit F2 or DEL to get into BIOS), 30 seconds of windows starting

Here are my specs:

CPU: i7-4790K Non-OC'd

RAM: 16GB

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-R

HDD: 2TB ST2000DM006-2DM164 Seagate Barracuda

I appreciate any help, this is quite urgent.

Solution
HDDs with Win10 are very slow. 2+ mins is pretty typical even on a fresh install in my experience until some of the common files are cached into the ReadyBoot/Superfetch cache or 'fast startup' is enabled. That will decrease boot time slightly, but it's still nowhere near the ~10 sec or so you'll get with a SSD.

SSDs are so cheap now you may as well just pick up a new one.
HDDs with Win10 are very slow. 2+ mins is pretty typical even on a fresh install in my experience until some of the common files are cached into the ReadyBoot/Superfetch cache or 'fast startup' is enabled. That will decrease boot time slightly, but it's still nowhere near the ~10 sec or so you'll get with a SSD.

Solution
May 8, 2020

Ofcourse, I did pick an M.2 SSD - it's on it's way.
I just wanted someone to assure myself that it's normal for HDDs to boot for so long.