Question HDD to SSD OS Migration

Jan 8, 2019
Hey, so I just cloned my HDD to my new SSD with Macrium Reflect 7 and had a few questions before I set the SSD as the boot drive. I wanted to know if my programs will recognize the SSD as a destination for the program data and such. Also, will my computer be exactly the same when I boot with the SSD? It is an exact clone but I want to make sure. Finally, can I delete the OS off of my hard drive once I boot successfully with the SSD? If so, how do I only delete the OS and not my personal files?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You should be able to run off the SSD just like you did the HDD. Test the quality of the clone by unplugging the HDD's data cable and being sure (in BIOS) that the SSD is now the boot drive. Boot to Win. If you get to the desktop, see if pgms work as they should. After that, reformat the HDD and use it as needed for extra storage.

After ensuring the clone works, you could delete the Windows folder and the page and swap files from the origin drive. But better, that you keep that origin drive as is, as a boot drive .The drive may serve as a back up system drive and as storage. You can use Macrium to either schedule clone updates or to store image files of the new drive on the old drive as back up provisions.

USAFRet

Titan
Hey, so I just cloned my HDD to my new SSD with Macrium Reflect 7 and had a few questions before I set the SSD as the boot drive. I wanted to know if my programs will recognize the SSD as a destination for the program data and such. Also, will my computer be exactly the same when I boot with the SSD? It is an exact clone but I want to make sure. Finally, can I delete the OS off of my hard drive once I boot successfully with the SSD? If so, how do I only delete the OS and not my personal files?
A successful clone carried over everything that was on the original drive. You don't need to 'delete windows but keep your personal files'. THose should have ended up on the SSD anyway.

Before you delete anything, you need to verify.
Power OFF
Disconnect the old drive
Boot up from the SSD only.