Question HDD usage spikes freezes PC

SpartansMan

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015
Hi, so this problem has been going on for a few weeks now and it's getting quite annoying. Before, I had this problem that PC felt quite slow, so I did some research and changed the page file size to a recommended one on the SSD and left system managed on the HDD and optimised SSD through „Defragment and Optimise Drives“ Windows tool. PC felt a lot better but then it started freezing randomly, and it happens when casually surfing the net or gaming, when the game or the browser are installed on the SSD, it's especially annoying when gaming. So I decided to check on Task Manager and the only thing I can see is that HDD usage (not the SSD) jumps to about 80-100%. CrystalDiskInfo and HDSentinel show that SSD and HDD are both in good health. Resource Manager shows that pagefile's access time goes up on the HDD when the HDD usage goes up. In the Power Options I changed that the HDD wouldn't become inactive but it didn't help.

Specifications :
i7-4510U
8GB RAM
1TB Toshiba HDD + Samsung OEM 128GB SSD
GeForce 840M 2GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1809, Windows is installed on the SSD.

Userbenchmark : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18418865
The GPU might perform below expectations because I have Wallpaper Engine running and I have this problem with power limit that I can't solve, I can only blame the no name charger for that really.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS