HDD USB cradle

I have a problem with my pc. Having installed SP2 my machine continually
rebooted itself after about 10 mins even if starting in safe mode. I
decided (stupidly) to uninstall SP2 without resolving reboot prob. The
machine rebooted during uninstall and now wont start up at all.

Ive tried re-installing XP and get the following message having set boot
sequence to CD, Floppy, HDD
"Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot
device"..

If I set boot sequence to Floppy, CD,HDD and boot from XP floppy set,
system boots up ok but at the section that says to remove floppy and reboot
i get the message
"Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot
device" again.

Before going too much further I was wanting to transfer some data from my
HDD to my laptop. I was wondering if there was such a thing as a cable that
would connect my hdd at one end to a usb at the other so that I can plug it
into my laptop & transfer any data that I need. I was then going to do a
clean install of xp

bar

Yes you can buy an external IDE device case which has USB and / or Firewire
connectivity. Yes you can mount your hard drive in it: provided it's an IDE
drive and not SATA.

But these are much more expensive that using an ethernet cable between the
PC and Laptop. 99.99% of all laptops have ethernet adapter in-built and a
majority of Desktop mobo's also have it in-built. If your desktop doesn't
then buy a Network Interface Card for you desktop [then cost about US $10]
and a straight thru ethernet cable of whatever length you prefer [these will
cost US $10 for a 15 foot cable].

Then run the network wizard and setup the desktop and move over to the
laptop and do the same [make sure the desktop shares its internet connection].
"Terry Holland" wrote:

> I have a problem with my pc. Having installed SP2 my machine continually
> rebooted itself after about 10 mins even if starting in safe mode. I
> decided (stupidly) to uninstall SP2 without resolving reboot prob. The
> machine rebooted during uninstall and now wont start up at all.
>
> Ive tried re-installing XP and get the following message having set boot
> sequence to CD, Floppy, HDD
> "Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot
> device"..
>
> If I set boot sequence to Floppy, CD,HDD and boot from XP floppy set,
> system boots up ok but at the section that says to remove floppy and reboot
> i get the message
> "Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot
> device" again.
>
> Before going too much further I was wanting to transfer some data from my
> HDD to my laptop. I was wondering if there was such a thing as a cable that
> would connect my hdd at one end to a usb at the other so that I can plug it
> into my laptop & transfer any data that I need. I was then going to do a
> clean install of xp

> Yes you can buy an external IDE device case which has USB and / or
Firewire
> connectivity. Yes you can mount your hard drive in it: provided it's an
IDE
> drive and not SATA.

> Then run the network wizard and setup the desktop and move over to the
> laptop and do the same [make sure the desktop shares its internet
connection].
> "Terry Holland" wrote:

Can I do this if I can't start up my PC other than when I use the xp startup
floppy discs?

> Yes you can buy an external IDE device case which has USB and / or
Firewire
> connectivity. Yes you can mount your hard drive in it: provided it's an
IDE
> drive and not SATA.
>
> But these are much more expensive that using an ethernet cable between the
> PC and Laptop. 99.99% of all laptops have ethernet adapter in-built and a
> majority of Desktop mobo's also have it in-built. If your desktop doesn't
> then buy a Network Interface Card for you desktop [then cost about US $10]
> and a straight thru ethernet cable of whatever length you prefer [these
will
> cost US $10 for a 15 foot cable].
>
> Then run the network wizard and setup the desktop and move over to the
> laptop and do the same [make sure the desktop shares its internet
connection].
> "Terry Holland" wrote:

But can I do this if I can't start up XP on my PC?