HDDs Return to Pre-Flood Prices; SSD Pricing Holding Steady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Profits of manufacturers probably also increased because they chopped their warranty lengths, some to as little as one year (Samsung); two years is typical now. Only the WD Black drives still have five year warranties.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

OCZ have 5 year warranties.

yapchagi

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
nahh it's still not back to pre-flood price. Caviar Black 2 TB is still $160 from amazon. I bought it for $130 last time from amazon.

Thomas Hock

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Mushkin Chronos pricing is to SSD as Gskill is to Ram. 240GB gaming SSDs for only $179.99 is such a steal. Hard drives are nearly mapped to my Personal files and backups now these days. Data recovery on a SSD when it fails compared to a HD thats failling is entirely different story. If you SSD stops working you data is GONE! if the hard drive fails there's a lot of easy means of recovering data bit by bit. So as we make a move to SSDs please, please, please backup your data people!

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

OCZ doesn't make HDDs.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Last time I checked (this morning) prices are still above pre-flood levels.

Example: Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA $35 before floods, $60 right now...

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
"HDDs Return to Pre-Flood Prices"

I'll believe that when I see it myself, thanks. The pair of 2TB drives that I bought not that long before the flood (phew) are still about 40% more than I paid for them, £145 versus £105 (inc VAT).

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

OCZ doesn't make Hard Disk Drives, it makes SSDs. Onus was speaking about the warranty periods for Hard Disk Drives, and is correct in his statement that warranty periods have been shortened.

I don't feel HDD prices are at pre-flood pricing just yet. I can recall purchasing a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 from Newegg for $50 (on sale) just months before the flooding. Currently, the cheapest 1TB HDD on Newegg is $70, while the rest are $75 or more.

flank2

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
no, no they're not. when hdd's go on sale, the sale price is VERY close to what the pre-flood prices were. I remember buying 2TB samsung's for $55-60 from tigerdirect not on sale. I go on newegg and the cheapest 2TB is $97...

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Look at both Seagate/WD profits pre-flood and after. This was almost complete BS as they recovered far faster than they'd like you to believe and seagate wasn't really affected much at all. Look at unit shipments also which are up for both. Seagate Quadrupled (a little over actually) profits shortly after the flood.

Not sure where this charts prices come from, but I still can't get a 1 or 2TB drive as cheap as pre-flood. They have another $10-20 to go. WD's 1TB at newegg is $75. I got my last 2 1TB drives for $55 & $59 before the flood and I think they went below that. The 2TB has another $20 to go also as they are still $99 or more and as a bonus for all their profits they killed out warranties. They have all shrunk and charge a premium to get them back. So they overcharge you for less warranty, and completely screw you for the same warranty you had before.

Where are they getting the flood pricing data? IMHO it is wrong by a HUGE amount. $75 is a far cry from $55. $20 doesn't sound like much until you realize the % here. They keep pocketing HUGE quarters.

upfront

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Recently I saw a 3TB on sale for 119 Dollars and free shipping. That's what I paid after a 10 dollar rebate for my Pre-Flood 3TB hard drive. Hard Drives seem to be at Pre-Flood prices if you wait for sales. I will still wait for a 4TB for under 140 Dollars before I upgrade our home server/HTPC. While this price hike was going on I upgrade all the computer in our home to SSD except our Home sever/HTPC. It's nice to see the lower prices.

earthwormsvx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
2TB green drives were usually $70 in Canada pre-flood. Today, the cheapest is $95 which puts them about 35% higher than they used to be. Also consider that prices would have fallen since then so, in reality, we should be seeing 3TB drives for about $70 by now.

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Other reason for a 250GB drive costing that much is probably because supplies on older equipment are typically not so much in demand and so they raise prices a bit. Newer equipment usually are in heavy demand, and hence the competition is somewhat fiercer affecting the pricing.

rolfathan

Honorable
May 16, 2013
This is total BS!
I purchased three hard drives before the flood. 1TB seagate, 1TB western digital and a 1.5TB seagate.
Both the 1TB were around $45 and the 1.5 was $65. I had been planning to purchase a 2TB that was on sale for $110.
I saw a "sale" yesterday, 500GB for $54.
No, this is nowhere near the prices pre-flood.
Granted, the 2TB you can now find for $100ish, the lower capacities are, for some reason, very expensive compared to what it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.