News HDMI 2.0 Is Being Relabeled as HDMI 2.1

I mean, seriously . . Double Yew . . Tee . . Eff??!

What the hell are they trying to accomplish with this?
I've heard a lot of the HDMI 2.1 receivers and TVs can have... problems. I don't know if that's true from personal experience (still using a relatively inexpensive 4K 58-inch TV), but if so this might be HDMI trying to sweep things under the rug. Not a good look changing specs and naming like this!

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
if those upgrade from 2.1 are to be options, wouldn't it be more logical that they'd be 2.0 with mentioned upgrades? Will they be downgrading requirement for 2.0, or is it just gonna disappear? and last question, who is selling crack to those guys?

Dec 16, 2021
From the way it looks like it, 2.0 and 2.1 are the same now, only the features from 2.1 are now optional.
My cheap 4K TV only has HDMI 2.0b ports which also does VRR (variable refresh rate) , ALLM (auto low latency Mode) and 120hz in 1080p the only thing i don't get with with HDMI 2.0b is 4k@ 120hz as far as I'm aware so not that bothered about HDMI 2.1 or should be called HDMI 2.0c now lol

My cheap 4K TV only has HDMI 2.0b ports which also does VRR (variable refresh rate) , ALLM (auto low latency Mode) and 120hz in 1080p the only thing i don't get with with HDMI 2.0b is 4k@ 120hz as far as I'm aware so not that bothered about HDMI 2.1 or should be called HDMI 2.0c now lol
The problem is HDMI 2.1 is a significant upgrade. Though if I were to be honest, the average person won't care about HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 or whatever. They just care if their TV does 8K or 4K 120 or some feature they want that's tied to the interface anyway.

Reactions: SiliconHillGames

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
First, the made HDMI 2.1 features (apart from speed) optional, and now they are allowing HDMI 2.0 to be labeled as 2.1, and ALL the 2.1 features (including speed) are optional. So as a manufacturer, I can basically just take an old 2.0 monitor/tv change the "0" to a "1", add nothing new, and I've just increased my sales because were waiting for HDMI 2.1 tv/monitor to be released before making a purchase.

"HDMI.org" gets paid a royalty for every HDMI device sold out there. I bet they did this to increase unit sales to line their pockets, while screwing a lot of uninformed consumers.

EFFERS!

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Gee HDMI.org, why not just call every HDMI spec, 2.1? That is the path your going down. When I go to buy a new receiver and TV, I need to know specific capabilities. Just changing it so 2.0 is equal to 2.1 does nothing good. There is literally no consumer that would benefit from that. It would be like in the days of renting/buying video taped movies... what if they just called all Beta and VHS.. Beta. You buy it and boom, it may or may not work.
This is just like USB.org. A shockingly stupid group that is letting Marketing Morons name versions. You can't call something USB 4? or when they would not allow manufacturers label the cables with version numbers? ( You could put the stupid names.. Super Speed? Super Duper Speed? Gone Plaid? (Space Balls Reference).