[SOLVED] HDMI 2.1 and eArc question

Nov 7, 2021
I am thinking about buying a tv that has four hdmi ports. Port #1 and #2 are hdmi 2.1 capable. Port #4 is the eArc port.

If I hook up say a ps5 through an AVR capable of 4k/120 pass through instead of the TV itself, would the fact at the Port 4 not being hdmi 2.1 mean my ps5 is not going to be able to get full potential? (4k/120, etc.)

Would hooking up the ps5 directly to Port 1 or 2 and having the TV send sound to the AVR through eArc diminish the potential of the ps5 capability in any way? (sound)

(I am trying to get a solid understanding of this as I thought eARC was an hdmi 2.1 thing, but the tv manufacturer has not listed it as a 2.1 port)

Thank you for any info you can give me, I appreciate it.

Solution
If avr supports earc, then you can connect ps5 to tv via any of the hdmi ports and get full surround sound sent to avr. That's the benefits of earc (hdmi 2.1) vs the older bandwidth limited (only 2.1 channels) arc.

Either way, connected directly to tv or avr, you have options and thats one of the other benefits of earc, more unrestricted hdmi ports.

If avr doesn't support earc then you connect ps5 to avr instead.
It would depend more on how the manufacturer defines the TV's capabilities. Getting a 4k TV is relatively easy but getting one that supports higher 120Hz refresh rates is more difficult. Focus on the set's refresh rate capabilities first and then move on to the ports. This can be difficult as some TV manufacturers use simulated refresh rates rather than the real thing.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If avr supports earc, then you can connect ps5 to tv via any of the hdmi ports and get full surround sound sent to avr. That's the benefits of earc (hdmi 2.1) vs the older bandwidth limited (only 2.1 channels) arc.

Either way, connected directly to tv or avr, you have options and thats one of the other benefits of earc, more unrestricted hdmi ports.

If avr doesn't support earc then you connect ps5 to avr instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: zmcara
Solution