Question HDMI 2.1 splitter options (not a switch)?

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
So, I have a Neo G7 monitor (4k HDR 165Hz), and I have a receiver that I want to play Dolby ATMOS sound from.
The problem is that my RTX 3080 only has 1 HDMI port (and 3 DP ports).
I've been looking for a HDMI 2.1 splitter, and there are loads of them on Amazon for €20-30, but when you dig down into them they always end up being switches, and not splitters.

Is there something I'm missing? Do actual splitters really even exist at a reasonable price?
I did see one for about €150 that seems o be a genuine splitter, but that's a bit too expensive.

Is there a reason why these are so hard to find/expensive? Maybe because both devices would be "talking back" to the same, single source (my 3080) or something?

Are there any other options to get this configuration working, like a DP to HDMI cable?
The receiver only supports HDMI 2.0.

I have a HDMI port on my mobo, but I have a 5800x CPU, which doesn't have an integrated GPU.

Solution
Update:
I bought a DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter on Amazon (~€30) and it works.
I can send ATMOS from my DisplayPort through the adapter to my receiver to get ATMOS sound.

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
If understand the specs correctly, you can use a DP 2.1 to HDMI 2.1 cable for the monitor and the HDMI Port for the Audio Receiver.I won't post links to products here, because you are probably in a different country with different price listings on amazon.

Display Port 2.1 is capable of up to 144 Hz at 4k

That's the page with the Info :

This is not from own experience, that's just from reading stuff online. Hope you don't mind.

Last edited:

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
If understand the specs correctly, you can use a DP 2.1 to HDMI 2.1

The thing is the Neo G7 and the RTX3080 both only run DisplayPort v1.4.

But the strange thing is, I've been experimenting, again, with the DisplayPort, and now I seem to be running at 4k, 165Hz with it. I'm assuming it's running with DSC (compression) to give me this output, but it still only runs with 10bit colour (instead of the 12bit colour I get with HDMI). But it's not a bad compromise.

I might pick up a DP to HDMI adapter and see if I can get Atmos via the DisplayPort to the receiver, but I've heard contradictory reports about whether or not this is possible.