HDMI Alt Mode Enables Video, Internet Over USB Type-C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
What kind of firewalling options are available when your TV is drawing its Internet connection from your HTPC? Ugh, that sounds like a nightmare.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
What an idiotically pointless product! Why only hdmi 1.4b yes it "outputs 4k" but only at a crappy 30hz! Should have been HDMI 2... might have stood a chance then....

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

4K isn't all that huge at the moment, the majority of consumers are still happy with 1080P. 4K content still isn't massive and it will be another 2 years before we see a large transition to it. 1080P was around for a good 5 years before content caught up to it.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
With every device that has an HDMI connection (male or female), including cables, having to pay HDMI Licensing, LLC....it's only a matter of time before they've priced themselves right out of the market and Display Port, USB, or some other fee-less device becomes the norm. Companies are saving millions a year by ditching HDMI Licensing fees. It's why Dell and HP have moved away from HDMI

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
HDMI, USB and Thunderbolt all have license fees, HDMI is the most expensive @ fifteen cents (US$0.15) per unit sold but even that isn't much to a company that sells millions of units per year. For a company to pay 1 million in fees for HDMI they would need to sell 66,666,667 units, not many companies come even close to that and those that do wouldn't notice the savings at all.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012

Welcome to the Internet of Things and the death of us all. :(

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I suspect it will use the firewall of whatever device it is pulling net through. On a side note, I wonder if you would have to bridge your connections? That or it uses third party software to enable bridging.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

You miss my point. 30hz.... why bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.