HDMI audio has died

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
:/ Windows, Realtek or Intel have taken out my HDMI audio again. This time, the board's audio. The GPU's HDMI audio works, but the Intel HDMI output isn't listed anywhere. How do I fix it?

Computer was off all day yesterday and before Monday it was off for 4 weeks and when I came back sound had committed suicide.

If you are using a dedicated graphics card, the Intel HDMI port will not work since the motherboard will shut the on board gpu down automatically once a dedicated card is installed. You will need to use the regular audio outputs on your motherboard to get sound once you instal a dedicated video card. That or use the audio out from your video card.

You need to have the HDMI plugged into your HD graphics before you turn your pc on, it's not plug and play.

Here's what you need to do:

Turn off your pc,
Plug the HDMI cable into the IGPU,
Go into BIOS and make sure the mobo has the igpu on (if this doesn't work then skip to next step),
Boot into windows and test to make sure it all works.

This is new to me. Are you saying he will be able to use the sound from his onboard HDMI, while using a dedicated GPU? I didn't think that was the case.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
I seem to remember being able to swap on the fly before as I once tried gaming through IGPU and I had both sound and video. I'd try that BIOS thing, but this computer looks for the GPU first and by the time it goes 'oh wait, we're using integrated' I'm at the start screen. Flashed the BIOS to the newest one available (pushed to me by the manufacturer) and then restarted at which point it Event 41'd and killed power before trying again which is nothing new really, used to see a tonne of event 41s. This is probably the first genuine one.

I have a PC gaming 1 year in video coming up in February and should have a should you PC game vid, but since I got my Mac and PS4 this rig sees virtually no action (Windows kind of made sure of that. Sort of waiting for Windows 10, but my chances of me buying it are very low). Just going to leave it on and get on with some Infamous

What playback device is set as your default?

Windows8_1_Sound_Applet.jpg