Question HDMI Bi-Directional Switch issue

Sh4dow85

Honorable
Aug 8, 2016
I'm having a minor issue with a HDMI Bi-directional switch that I'm hoping I can figure out how to fix because it bugs me!!

My home PC is set up with two HDMI monitors. One of these is connected via the switch. My work laptop is also connected to the switch. This is so that as I'm working, if I need to work with a 2nd screen (or just a larger one) I can 'switch' and use my PC monitor instead/aswell as my laptop. All is working as intended, and the switch successfully displays either an extension of my laptop desktop, or an extension of my home pc desktop.

The issue comes when I am using the monitor for my laptop - my home PC still 'sees' the monitor and carries on with the setting of 'extend these displays', and therefore the destop is still extended onto the 2nd monitor, even though the monitor is actually displaying for the laptop. Any windows I have open on my home PC I have to then mess around trying to move off the 2nd monitor and onto the 1st. My laptop doesn't have this issue. When I use the switch to go back to displaying my home pc on the 2nd monitor, the laptop instantly acknowledges this and the display goes back to just showing on one screen as no 2nd monitor is detected.

So how do I make sure that when I've used the switch to display the laptop, my pc display properly disconnects the display until I've switched it back over?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sh4dow85

Honorable
Aug 8, 2016
For that you need simple uni-directional switch (not bi-directional).

Bidirectional switch is combination of switch and splitter. Splitter part is, what causes problem here.

If it's not the correct type of switch, shouldn't it be not working at all then? I did a lot of research before buying the switch I did because I'm genuinely clueless as to what the 'right' product is/was. This one works for two inputs to one output which is what I have - so what does the splitter part have to do with it? Is that not just for if I had one input and two outputs (i.e. splitting one into two)? I obviously have very limited technical knowledge here, but I would really like to understand if I can so I can be better informed in future!

TRENDING THREADS