Question HDMI/DisplayPort adapter to DVI-D adapters: what (not) to expect

merroe

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hi,

I am considering the purchase of a RTX 1070 ti graphics card. It seems that these are equipped with HDMI and DisplayPort connectors but (unless I’m wrong) none of these cards support a DVI-D connector any longer.

The point is that one of my screens has a 1920x1080 resolution with a refresh rate of 120Hz and a DVI-D plug, and I would like to keep that max setting including that high frequency.

However, it would seem that I may not get above 60Hz refresh rate, if I connected that particular screen via an adapter to either of the available connector types.

Is that right, or can I expect higher refresh rates than 60Hz that way?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I am considering the purchase of a RTX 1070 ti graphics card. It seems that these are equipped with HDMI and DisplayPort connectors but (unless I’m wrong) none of these cards support a DVI-D connector any longer.

The point is that one of my screens has a 1920x1080 resolution with a refresh rate of 120Hz and a DVI-D plug, and I would like to keep that max setting including that high frequency.

However, it would seem that I may not get above 60Hz refresh rate, if I connected that particular screen via an adapter to either of the available connector types.

Is that right, or can I expect higher refresh rates than 60Hz that way?
I believe that dual link DVI is required for the 120hz. I have looked, in the past, and have not found a DVI converter that says it is dual link DVI.

You'll need a rather expensive DP->DVI (dual link) adapter to get 1080p@120Hz

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-DVI-Adapter-Dual-Link/dp/B00A493CNY