[SOLVED] HDMI input not recognised; reset button not working

Nov 5, 2019
I have just built a new computer with all new components (except the GPU, case and HDD) and the CPU and case fans are running, I have a red LED on my motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus Elite B450) and my power button LED is on but connecting to either onboard or dedicated GPU yields nothing.

I have turned off the computer from the switch at the back and tried flipping the front panel pins but this did not work.

I turned off the computer in the same manner again (as the reset button simply does not work and only flashes the case LED) to unseat the GPU and use onboard graphics and again this did not work.

I would not mind testing components but I am wary of turning the computer off from the switch at the back again. I suppose the reset button just seems safer but I have no idea.

I do not have a VGA cable to hand but may be able to get one. I am currently in Japan and whilst the GPU was bought within the UK, all other components were not, should that affect voltage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in getting the reset button to work and the HDMI signal to be recognised.

Components:
Corsair RM 550x PSU
Gigabyte Aorus Elite B450 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU (not overclocked)
Stock CPU cooler
HyperX Fury DDR4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2666
MSI GTX 960 2G (currently unseated)
Western Digital 1 TB HDD (I cannot remember the model, I apologise)
ASUS VZ239 Monitor

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you so much. I was worried I had lost everything and corrupted my files during transit.

I manage to get to Startup Repair and it does certainly recognise I have Windows of a form on my computer. Any boot mode (Safe Mode or otherwise) always results in a BSOD. Just to clarify, would this be consistent in your suspicion that I would need to upgrade OS?

Many thanks.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Yes, that's correct, it seems that W7 doesn't have drivers for 2nd gen Ryzen and chipset drivers. I also had W7 in dual boot with W10 with 1600x and 1700x but it stopped working in same manner as yours. After some lengthy battle I gave up as W10 gave better performance, specially now with version 1903 that can use Ryzen better .
Nov 5, 2019
Hi all,

Apologies for the multiple posts; mine seem to keep getting inexplicably deleted.

Unfortunately, after building a new PC (the GPU, HDD and case are old and were transported by myself in carry on luggage over a flight from London to Tokyo), whilst the CPU and case fan are working, I cannot recieve any HDMI input from my monitor. Additionally, the motherboard is emitting a red light. I am not sure what this means. My case power button LED is also functional.

I have tried to reset the PC to test components. When I press the reset button, the LED continues to flash but does not reset. I have switched the PC off by the switch on the PSU three times. It has turned on each time and is running right now.

I switched off the computer twice to test components. Firstly to switch the side of the front panel pins. Secondly to unseat the GPU and test onboard graphics. Neither attempt worked.

I am at somewhat of a loss here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Components:
Corsair RM 550x PSU
Gigabyte Aorus Elite B450 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU (not overclocked)
Stock CPU cooler
MSI GTX 960 2G (unseated) GPU
HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) RAM
WD 1 TB HDD (I have forgotten the model)
ASUS VZ239 Monitor

Nov 5, 2019
Solved. Motherboard lights indicated what was the problem. First DRAM (unseated and changed position). Second VGA (installed GPU and fitted HDMI cable into port).

Hope this helps someone in a similar position.

Nov 5, 2019
Hi,

Thank you for your response. I managed to partially solve the issue by incorrectly seating RAM into A2 and B1.

I have now changed this to A2 and B2. I get POST, recieve a beep, the motherboard LEDs work as do the GPU LEDs. The fans for both the PSU and GPU run at startup but then wind down. I am not sure if this is due to low temperature. My motherboard reports a temperature of 25° C.

I get to the Windows Error Recovery screen. If I try to start Windows normally, it begins to load, then hangs, then BSOD, then reset to BIOS. I have tried Startup Repair but as I have no mouse at present, I cannot seem to allow the repair to proceed.

I have no red LED on my motherboard any longer but I am a bit concerned that Windows will not start normally.

I am running Windows 7 64 Bit.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I managed to partially solve the issue by incorrectly seating RAM into A2 and B1.

I have now changed this to A2 and B2. I get POST, recieve a beep, the motherboard LEDs work as do the GPU LEDs. The fans for both the PSU and GPU run at startup but then wind down. I am not sure if this is due to low temperature. My motherboard reports a temperature of 25° C.

I get to the Windows Error Recovery screen. If I try to start Windows normally, it begins to load, then hangs, then BSOD, then reset to BIOS. I have tried Startup Repair but as I have no mouse at present, I cannot seem to allow the repair to proceed.

I have no red LED on my motherboard any longer but I am a bit concerned that Windows will not start normally.

I am running Windows 7 64 Bit.

I'm afraid you will have to upgrade to Windows 10, W7 is very, very difficult to make run on 2nd and 3rd gen Ryzen.

Nov 5, 2019
Thank you so much. I was worried I had lost everything and corrupted my files during transit.

I manage to get to Startup Repair and it does certainly recognise I have Windows of a form on my computer. Any boot mode (Safe Mode or otherwise) always results in a BSOD. Just to clarify, would this be consistent in your suspicion that I would need to upgrade OS?

Many thanks.

Many thanks.

Yes, that's correct, it seems that W7 doesn't have drivers for 2nd gen Ryzen and chipset drivers. I also had W7 in dual boot with W10 with 1600x and 1700x but it stopped working in same manner as yours. After some lengthy battle I gave up as W10 gave better performance, specially now with version 1903 that can use Ryzen better .

Reactions: zenten
Solution
Nov 5, 2019
Thank you for the information. For now, I will boot with a Linux distro and download Windows 10 after retrieving my files. I would assume attempting to retain my personal files on a full install of Windows 10 is risky at best?